Roze Koek (Pink Cake)
For the cakes:
- 1 cup (125 g) all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting pans
- ¼ cup (22 g) almond flour
- 2 tsp (4 g) lemon zest
- ¼ tsp (2 g) salt
- ⅔ cup (151 g) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup (150 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) vanilla extract
For the icing
- ½ cup (38 g) raspberries
- 1 - 1 ¼ cups (120 g - 150 g) Redpath® Icing Sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon juice
- 12 fresh raspberries, washed and thoroughly dried, for garnish
For the cakes:
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 12-cup muffin pan. Dust each cup with flour and tap out any excess.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, almond flour, lemon zest, and salt. Set aside.
Place the butter in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium until smooth. Add the Redpath® Granulated Sugar and beat until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
Add the eggs one at a time, beating each in until fully incorporated before adding the next. Beat in the vanilla.
Reduce speed to low and add the dry ingredients, mixing only until flour is no longer visible.
Divide batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups (cups will be about half full).
Bake until cake springs back when gently pressed and a skewer inserted in the centre emerges clean, 20 to 22 minutes.
Allow cakes to cool in the tin for five minutes, then remove and transfer to a rack to cool completely before icing.
For the icing:
Press the raspberries through a fine mesh sieve (you should have about 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) of juice). Discard solids.
Sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Whisk in 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) of raspberry juice and the lemon juice into the icing sugar. If necessary, add a bit more raspberry juice or icing sugar to achieve a consistency similar to melted chocolate.
Dip the tops of each cake in the icing and garnish with a raspberry. Allow icing to set before serving.
- Make sure your butter is softened, but not starting to show signs of melting. If the butter is shiny and starting to melt, place it in the refrigerator for 10 minutes before creaming.