Royal Icing Tutorial: Outlining a Cookie
- 1 batch of Royal Icing
- icing colour gels or food colouring
- #2 - #3 piping tips
- Piping bags
Royal Icing Decorating Techniques: Outling
1. Decide which colours you want to use for decorating, and divide the royal icing into as many bowls. Mix in your food colouring until you've achieved the colours you like.
2. Fill your piping bags with the coloured royal icing.
3. To outline your cookie, firmly squeeze the top of the piping bag and use your other hand to direct the tip, making a starting point by pressing down then lifting the tip up, pulling the icing in the direction you want it to go.
4. Be sure not to hold the piping tip too close to the cookie - let the icing fall along the edge.
5. To complete your outline, press down at your finishing and pull away, releasing the pressure on the piping bag.
6. Once your cookie is outlined, you can leave it as it is, add sprinkles or candy for decorating, or flood the cookie with royal icing. We'd love to see what sort of cookie decorations you come up with.