Peach Crumble Pie
1 9-inch pie
65 to 70 minutes
For the crust
- 1 recipe “Perfect Pie Crust”
For the crumble
- 1/3 cup (42 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (50 g) whole almonds
- 2/3 cup (145 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 cup (33 g) large flaked oats
- 1/2 tsp (3 g) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (2 g) salt
- 1/3 cup (76 g) butter, cubed
For the peach filling
- 1 1/4 cup (271 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp (90 g) tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp (2 g) cardamom, preferably freshly ground
- 1/4 tsp (2 g) salt
- 1/8 tsp (1 g) ground cloves
- 7 1/2 cups (1259 g) peaches, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 tsp (2 ml) pure almond extract
For the egg wash
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) heavy cream or water
Preheat oven to 400℉ (204℃). Position oven rack on the lower third of the oven. Place a baking sheet onto the rack to preheat.
Make the pie crust as directed in the recipe.
Roll remaining pie dough to ⅛-inch thickness. With the help of a ruler cut ¼-inch strips using a sharp chef’s knife or a pizza cutter. Carefully braid 3 equal length strips together. Repeat process until you have 4 braids.
It may not be necessary to use them all. With a pastry brush lightly brush the edge of the crust with the egg wash. Lay one braid along the crust, gently pressing down to adhere. Lay 2 or more braids along the edge, matching the edges to the previous one, to finish the crust.
Chill pie crust in fridge; at least 30 minutes.
For the crumble:
In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, pulse together the flour and almonds until nuts are coarsely ground. Add in the Redpath Dark Brown Sugar, oats, cinnamon, and salt. Pulse until well mixed. Add in the cubed butter; process just until crumble begins to clump together. Transfer contents into a small bowl and place into the fridge until needed.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the Redpath Golden Sugar, tapioca starch, ground cardamom, salt, and ground cloves until thoroughly blended.
In a large bowl, toss together the cubed peaches, lemon juice, and pure almond extract until fruit is well-coated.
Pour the sugar mixture over the peaches. Toss to coat.
Transfer the coated peaches into chilled pie crust. Sprinkle the crumble over the peaches.
Whisk together the egg and heavy cream or water. With a pastry brush, lightly brush the egg wash on the braided crust.
Place pie into the preheated oven and onto the baking sheet. Bake at 400℉ (204℃) for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 375℉ (191℃) and continue to bake for another 45 to 50 minutes, or until the crust is deep golden in colour and the filling is bubbling.
Carefully remove pie from the oven. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before attempting to slice; at least 3 hours. Alternatively, cool pie to room temperature and place into the fridge to chill until the filling is cooled to 85℉ (29℃).
- Choose peaches that are ripe but still firm.
- To quickly peel peaches, fill a large pot of water and bring water to a boil. Carefully lower peaches into the boiling water for 30 seconds, then remove and plunge the boiled peaches into a bowl of ice water. Let sit for 10 seconds. Pinch the skin, and the skin should peel off easily.
- Both the crumble and the pie crust can be made a few days in advance.
- If crust is browning too fast, cover with aluminum foil and continue to bake until pie is done.
- *Leftover pie dough can be frozen for future use, made into mini or handheld pies, or cut out into desired shapes, brushed lightly with egg wash and sprinkled with any Redpath sugars for quick and buttery treats!