Cutting into these exceptional French toast pockets is like opening a gift of flavour! We kept the classic elements of cinnamon and icing sugar, and cooking in butter instead of oil. Then, we upgraded the experience, stuffing each slice and baking luscious peaches and crunchy pecans inside. Could brunch get any more decadent?
- 1 pkg (8oz/250 g) brick-style cream cheese, at room temperature 1 pkg (8oz/250 g) brick-style cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¾ cup (90 g) Redpath® Icing Sugar, sifted ¾ cup (90 g) Redpath® Icing Sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon juice, freshly squeezed 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract 1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp (1 g) ground cinnamon ¼ tsp (1 g) ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp (1 g) salt ⅛ tsp (1 g) salt
- 4 thick (1½-inch) slices cut from a large loaf of white bread 4 thick (1½-inch) slices cut from a large loaf of white bread
- ¼ cup (30 g) chopped pecans ¼ cup (30 g) chopped pecans
- 2 large fresh peaches, pitted and cut into ½-inch slices 2 large fresh peaches, pitted and cut into ½-inch slices
- 4 large eggs 4 large eggs
- ½ cup (125 ml) whole milk ½ cup (125 ml) whole milk
- 2 tbsp (28 g) unsalted butter, softened, for frying 2 tbsp (28 g) unsalted butter, softened, for frying
- Redpath® Icing Sugar for dusting Redpath® Icing Sugar for dusting
In a medium bowl and using an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese, Redpath® Icing Sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt until smooth. Set aside.
Using a sharp, serrated knife, cut into one side of one slice of bread to create a pocket, being careful not to cut through the crust on the other three sides. Repeat with the remaining slices of bread.
Spread one-quarter of the cream cheese mixture in the pocket of each slice of bread. Divide the pecans among the pockets, distributing them evenly over the cream cheese mixture.
Divide the peach slices among the pockets. Gently press the opening of each pocket together to seal and prevent the filling from falling out.
Preheat the oven to 250ºF (121°C). Put a rimmed baking sheet in the oven to warm.
In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs and milk.
Dip the stuffed bread slices into the egg mixture, letting each slice soak for about 30 seconds on each side.
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Fry the French toast, in batches if necessary, until each slice is deep golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
As each batch browns, transfer it to the oven to keep warm while you cook the remaining French toast. Dust with Redpath® Icing Sugar and serve warm.
*If you find cutting the pockets in the bread slices difficult, pop the bread slices in the freezer for 20 minutes, first. The slightly frozen bread will slice more cleanly.