Mini Pan-Fried Canadian Dough Treats
10 to 12 servings
1 hour 20 minutes
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) milk, warmed to 110℉ (45℃)
- 1 tbsp (12 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp (10 g) active dry yeast
- 2 ⅔ cup (333 g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (54 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, firmly packed
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- 2 tbsp (28 g) butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp (10 ml) pure vanilla extract
- Redpath® Cinnamon Sugar, generously sprinkled
- lemon juice, to finish
Combine warmed milk and Redpath® Granulated Sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Sprinkle the active dry yeast over the surface of the milk. Allow to stand 5 to 10 minutes, until mixture is foamy.
Whisk together the all-purpose flour with the Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar and salt until well-combined. Add to the yeast mixture. Add the butter, egg and vanilla extract. With the dough hook attachment, knead dough on low speed until the ingredients are slightly combined.
Increase speed to medium and knead until a smooth and elastic dough forms; about 5 minutes.
Form the dough into a ball and place into a large bowl that has been lightly greased. Flip dough over to cover the top of the dough with oil and flip again. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm, draft-free location until dough has doubled in size; about 1 hour.
Punch dough down. Turn dough onto a lightly-floured work surface and flatten slightly. Divide dough into approximately 10-12 equal sized pieces. Using a rolling pin and/or the help of your hands, roll or pat dough into ovals about ¼ inch (6 millimetres) thick.
Keep rolled out dough covered with a piece of plastic wrap, or a tea towel, until all pieces have been rolled.
Heat a large frying pan with an inch of vegetable oil, until a thermometer reads 350℉ (175℃).
Carefully slide 2 or 3 pieces of rolled out dough into the oil. Fry until golden in colour; 1 to 2 minutes (per side).
Using a pair of tongs, place fried dough onto a tray lined with paper towel. Immediately sprinkle generously with the Redpath® Cinnamon Sugar. Just before serving, sprinkle the finished treats with freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- If you don’t have a Redpath® Cinnamon Sugar shaker, mix 1 cup (200 grams) Redpath® Granulated Sugar with 2 teaspoons (6 grams) ground cinnamon in a medium-sized bowl. Once these treats come out of the oil, blot with paper towels and immediately transfer to the bowl of cinnamon sugar. Toss and coat still-hot treats with mixture.
- Different toppings may be used: melted chocolate, caramel sauce, toasted nuts, or jams.