Lemon Orange Pudding Cakes
- 1 cup (200 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar, divided
- 1 tbsp (6 g) lemon zest
- 1 tbsp (6 g) orange zest
- 3 tbsp (42 g) unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup (240 ml) whole milk
- ¼ cup (60 ml) lemon juice
- ¼ cup (60 ml) orange juice
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp (2 g) salt
- ½ cup (63 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp (3 g) baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Place a piece of tin foil in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 centimetre) baking dish that is at least 2 inches (5 centimetres) deep. Butter six 6 ounce (180 millilitre) ramekins and place in the baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine ¾ cup (150 grams) Redpath® Granulated Sugar with the lemon and orange zest. Rub the zest into the sugar and set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a small pot, melt butter over medium heat. Cook, swirling the butter a few times, until it turns a light golden colour. Transfer to a heatproof bowl and set aside.
- Add the egg yolks, lemon juice, orange juice, vanilla, salt and melted butter to the sugar zest mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Sift the flour and baking powder over the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Place the egg whites in a large, clean bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add in the remaining sugar and beat to medium-firm peaks.
- Whisk a large spoonful of the whipped egg whites into the batter. Fold in the rest of the whites in two additions.
- Divide the batter evenly between the ramekins (the batter will reach almost to the top of each ramekins).
- Fill the baking dish with 1 inch (2.5 centimetres) of water and place in the oven. Bake until until tops are golden; 35 minutes.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serve.
- All kinds of citrus fruits work in this recipe - try grapefruit or lime in place of one or even both of the zests in this recipe.