Kale and Sweet Potato Fritters
20 small fritters
What you need
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes (1 potato cooked and mashed, 3 potatoes raw and grated)
- 4 tbsp (60 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (125 g) all purpose flour
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp (10 g) kosher salt
- 1 bunch (5 onions) thinly sliced green onions, white and green divided
- ¼ cup (62.5 ml) vegetable oil for mixing, 1 cup (250 ml) for frying
- half a bunch of kale, chopped finely
- Sriracha sauce for dipping (optional)
How to prepare
1. Stir grated sweet potatoes into mashed sweet potato. Sprinkle with flour and mix lightly. Add red pepper, salt, white of green onion, eggs, Redpath® Brown Sugar, and kale. Add only ¼ cup of the vegetable oil to this mixture.
2. Pour remaining oil into a deep heavy-bottomed pot.The oil should not exceed 1.5" in depth. Heat oil to about 350º F (177º C). Have ready a tray lined with paper towel or a wire rack before you begin frying.
3. Prepare fritters by scooping with a ¼ cup measure, gently flattening with hands.
4. Carefully drop batches into hot oil. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
5. Drain on paper towel or metal rack you set up earlier.
6. If not serving immediately, place onto aluminium foil or wire rack and cover with more aluminium foil at about 170º F (77º C) oven.
7. Garnish with remaining greens of onions and serve with Sriracha sauce (optional).
Use caution when frying with hot oil. If you don't have a thermometer, dip a wooden utensil such as the top of a wooden spoon or a chopstick into the hot oil until tiny bubbles are attracted to it. This will mean the hot oil is ready.