Homemade Coffee Liqueur in 4 Easy Steps
What you need:
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Redpath Turbinado Sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) light rum
How to prepare:
1. Brew your coffee using your preferred brewing method, and to your preferred strength. Once brewed, transfer to a resealable container and set aside.
2. In a saucepan combine the sugar and water, then bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
3. Split your vanilla bean using a sharp knife and scrape the seeds out using the tip of the knife. Add the seeds to the brewed coffee, along with the bean.
4. Mix the cooled syrup and rum into the coffee mixture, seal the container and transfer to the fridge. Let the mixture rest for 3 days. Remove the vanilla bean from the mixture and bottle your liqueur.
This can be used in Mexican Hot Chocolate, Hot buttered Rum, or to make your own creations. Feel free to share your recipe ideas with us.
This recipe was adapted from Serious Eats.