Grilled Summer Vegetables with Garlic and Herb Spice Rub
What You Need for Grilled Summer Vegetables
- 1 green zucchini
- 1 yellow zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- ¼ cup (55 g) extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tbsp (16 g) Garlic and Herb Spice Rub
What You Need for Garlic and Herb spice Rub
- ¼ cup (50 g) Redpath Turbinado Sugar
- ¼ cup (70 g) kosher salt
- 1 tbsp (12 g) black pepper, ground
- 2 tbsp (36 g) dried garlic
- 1 tbsp (10 g) dried parsley flakes
- 1 tbsp (10 g) dried basil
- 1 tbsp (10 g) dried oregano
- 2 tsp (4 g) dried thyme
- 1 tsp (4 g) lemon zest
How to prepare Grilled Summer Vegetables:
1. Preheat your BBQ to 400F to 500F(200C to 260C).
2. Begin by slicing the zucchinis on an angle, about 1/4 inch thick, discarding the woody stem end. Place the sliced zucchinis in a large bowl and set aside.
3. Begin cutting the peppers by splitting them down the middle, removing the seeds and stem, then slicing them into irregular triangles. Add them to the bowl with the zucchinis.
4. With all the vegetables cut and in the bowl drizzle them with the EVOO, then toss them to coat. You want a big bowl for this because it gives you room to toss, without making a mess.
5. Once the vegetables are evenly coated with oil sprinkle on the spice rub, and again, toss to evenly coat.
6. Now you can grill the vegetables right away without problem. But to make these the best vegetables you’ve ever had, allow them to rest for about 30 minutes before grilling. This will allow them to take on the flavour of the rub while also letting them shed some of their water content which can make them soggy.
7. With the BBQ nice and hot, brush down the grill, allowing you to start with a nice clean grill top.
8. Using tongs, place the vegetables directly onto the grill. Reduce the heat to medium-high and allow them to cook, uncovered, until they start to take on golden grill marks, approximately 6 minutes.
9. Use your tongs to flip the vegetables, taking care not to let them drop down into the grill, and allow them to cook for another 6 minutes.
10. Remove the vegetables from the grill and place them onto a beautiful serving platter that allows their bright colours to shine, and sprinkle with a light dusting of extra spice rub.
11. Serve them on their own, or use them as a base for a large salad.
Store any remaining grilled vegetables in the fridge for sandwiches the next day.
How to prepare Garlic and Herb spice Rub :
1. In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon.
2. Use the garlic and herb spice rub right away on your favourite meats and vegetables or store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months.
When working with vegetables on the BBQ this summer the grill is a lot like a frying pan. For the best tasting caramelized vegetables that don’t turn into a soft mess start with a super hot grill (as hot as you can make it), adjust to your directed heat level, then keep the lid open to prevent them from steaming.