Need a crowd-pleasing, can’t-miss cookie? Our classic take on the sugar cookie is equally at home at kids’ parties as it is with afternoon tea and book club meetings. Serve them as-is, or get creative with beautiful Royal Icing. Either way, the tried-and-true flavour is guaranteed to bring a smile to every face.
1 hour 10 minutes chilling time
- ¾ cup (170 g) unsalted butter, room temperature ¾ cup (170 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup (109 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed ½ cup (109 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp (25 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar 2 tbsp (25 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg 1 large egg
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 2½ cups (312 g) all-purpose flour 2½ cups (312 g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp (1 g) baking powder ¼ tsp (1 g) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (2 g) salt ¼ tsp (2 g) salt
Preheat oven to 375°F (191°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, and Redpath® Granulated Sugar until completely blended.
Add the egg and mix until fully incorporated into the butter mixture; about 1 minute.
Add vanilla extract and blend until thoroughly combined.
In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. On low speed, add about half of the dry mixture to the bowl until just combined. Add the remaining flour. Do not overmix; mix until it forms a dough. Transfer dough onto a flat work surface and form the dough into a flat disc. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
When ready to use, allow dough to come to room temperature; about 5 minutes.
Place dough between 2 sheets of parchment. Roll dough to a ¼-inch thickness. Using desired cookie cutter, cut out cookies. Scraps can be gathered and rerolled and cut. Transfer cookies onto prepared baking sheet. Place cookies into the fridge or freezer to chill before baking; about 10 minutes. Place cookies into the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden in colour.
Cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
*For festive occasions, decorate cooled sugar cookies with Royal Icing.
*For added crunch (if not decorating with icing), lightly brush tops of chilled cookies with water and sprinkle each cookie with Redpath Simply Raw™ Turbinado Sugar before placing baking sheet into the preheated oven.