40 minutes (includes freezing for base)
2 hours (freezing time)
What you need for the Walnut Fig Base
- 1 cup (120 g) walnuts whole
- ½ cup (72 g) almonds
- ¼ cup (32 g) unsweetened dried coconut
- ¼ cup (42 g) flax seeds
- 1 cup (200 g) dried figs
- 1 cup (200 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) water
- 1 tsp (4 g) ground cinnamon
What you need for the Vanilla Coconut Cashew Cream
- 1 cup (140 g) cashews (soaked in water overnight)
- 1 cup (250 ml) coconut milk
- ½ cup (64 g) unsweetened dried coconut
- 2 tbsp (29 ml) Redpath® Instant Dissolving Sugar
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) vanilla bean paste, or the beans of two vanilla pods, scraped
- fresh figs slices, to decorate
How to prepare
1. For the base, add all ingredients into a food processor and process until the mixture sticks together when pressed between your fingertips. Line an 8" by 8" by 2" (20 x 20 x 5 cm) square baking tin with plastic wrap. Pour mixture into tin and carefully press firmly using the back of a spatula until base is completely flat and even.
2. Put into the freezer to set for at least half-an-hour while you make the vanilla coconut cashew cream.
3. For the coconut cream, add cashews to a food processor and process for a few minutes until the consistency is that of a thick paste. With the food processor still running, slowly add the coconut milk, quick dissolve sugar, and vanilla bean paste. Keep processing until the mixture becomes very smooth and creamy, making sure to scrape the sides of the processor down as you go. Add coconut and pulse to combine.
4. Pull the walnut fig base out of the freezer, and fill with the coconut cashew cream layer. Put back into the freezer for 2 hours to set. Let defrost for approximately 15 minutes for cream to soften before serving. Decorate with fresh figs, slice carefully with a sharp knife, and enjoy this delightful treat with family and friends.
- For a clean cut when slicing into bars, dip knife in hot water and wipe with a clean cloth. Then slice, and repeat as necessary.