Hosting friends or family for coffee? Impress even the pickiest café goers with these spectacular biscotti! Pleasantly crunchy with sweet morsels of strawberry and white chocolate, and finished with a luxurious dark chocolate dip, they’re dunking and munching perfection.
Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar
A rich and unique sugar with our deepest flavour, the large crystals add a bit of crunch to your baking and crumble-style toppings.
Redpath® Special Fine Granulated Sugar 2kg
An economically-sized bag of our versatile granulated sugar, it’s ideal for sweetening coffee and tea, baking, preserving, canning, and cooking.
For the biscotti:
- 2 1/4 cups (281 g) all-purpose flour 2 1/4 cups (281 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (28 g) almond flour 1/4 cup (28 g) almond flour
- 1 tsp (5 g) baking powder 1 tsp (5 g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (3 g) salt 1/2 tsp (3 g) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 g) butter, room temperature 1/3 cup (75 g) butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (109 g) Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar, firmly packed 1/2 cup (109 g) Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 cup (67 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar 1/3 cup (67 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- 2 eggs 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp (3 g) orange zest, finely grated 1 1/2 tsp (3 g) orange zest, finely grated
- 1/2 tsp (3 ml) pure almond extract 1/2 tsp (3 ml) pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup (85 g) dried strawberries, roughly chopped 1/2 cup (85 g) dried strawberries, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup (85 g) white chocolate, roughly chopped 1/2 cup (85 g) white chocolate, roughly chopped
For the chocolate dip:
- 1/2 cup (85 g) dark chocolate chips 1/2 cup (85 g) dark chocolate chips
For the biscotti:
Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder, and salt.
In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the room temperature butter, the Redpath Demerara® Style Sugar, and the Redpath® Granulated Sugar; 2 minutes.
Add in the eggs, one at a time, ensuring each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next ingredient. Mix in the orange zest and almond extract.
On low speed, add in half of the dry ingredients, mix until just combined. Add in the remaining dry ingredients; do not overmix.
Add in the dried strawberries and white chocolate. Mix until evenly distributed throughout the dough.
On a lightly floured work surface form a 2-inch diameter log. Place onto the prepared baking sheet. Flatten log to about 1 inch in height and 3 inches in width.
Place into the preheated oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden in colour.
Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes on the sheet. While still slightly warm, carefully remove log and place onto a cutting board. With a sharp serrated knife, cut into 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch slices.
Rearrange sliced biscotti with the curved side up, leaving a small space in between so that both cut sides “dry” and brown evenly. Bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until sides are dry.
Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly on the baking sheet before removing and placing them onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
For the chocolate dip:
Melt dark chocolate chips in a small microwaveable bowl at 15-second intervals, stirring between intervals until smooth and melted.
Dip the bottoms of the cooled biscotti into the chocolate and place onto a parchment-lined baking sheet to set.
*Sprinkle and toss a small amount of the flour from the recipe onto the strawberries to prevent clumping.
*Lemon or lime zest can be used in place of the orange.
*Almond flour and dried strawberries can be found in any major bulk or health food stores. If almond flour is unavailable, finely grind whole or blanched almonds in a food processor. Alternatively, replace with a 1/4 cup (31 g) of all-purpose flour.
*If desired, dried cranberries, dried cherries, or any dried fruit can be used in place of the dried strawberries.