Cranberry Pecan Deep Dish Pie
1 9” deep dish pie
55 to 60 minutes
For the pie crust
- 1 1/3 cup (167 g) all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp (23 g) Redpath® Icing Sugar, unsifted
- 1/2 tsp (3 g) salt
- 1/3 cup (76 g) cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 to 3 tbsp (15 to 45 ml) water, cold
For the cranberry pecan filling
- 1 1/4 cup (271 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup (100 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- 1 tbsp (8 g) cornstarch
- 3 1/2 cups (387 g) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- 1/3 cup (76 g) butter, cubed
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) bourbon
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (4 g) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (3 g) salt
- 2 tsp (4 g) orange zest, finely grated
- 1 1/4 cup (140 g) pecan pieces, lightly toasted
- 1 cup (108 g) whole pecans, lightly toasted
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, Redpath© Icing Sugar, and salt until thoroughly mixed. With a pastry blender or hands, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until there is a mixture of butter sizes, from coarse sand, small pea-sized, to slightly larger pieces.
Whisk together the egg with the vanilla. With a fork, stir into the dry ingredients. Add water, a tablespoon at a time, to the mixture until a dough just begins to form. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough just until it comes together; do not overwork. Form into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
On a floured work surface, roll chilled dough into a 14 inch circle. Carefully press into a 9” deep dish pie plate. Crimp edges as desired. Place pie dish into the fridge to chill until needed.
Preheat oven to 425℉ (218℃). Position oven rack on the lower third of the oven. Place a baking sheet onto the rack to preheat.
In a large bowl, whisk together the Redpath© Dark Brown Sugar, Redpath© Granulated Sugar, and cornstarch. Lightly toss the cranberries in the sugars. In a large saucepan combine the cranberry mixture and orange juice over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring until sugars are dissolved and some of the cranberries have burst and mixture is slightly thickened; about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in butter. Set aside to cool slightly.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, bourbon, vanilla extract, cinnamon, salt, and orange zest until thoroughly combined.
Temper the egg mixture with the warm cranberry sauce, whisking continuously after each addition. When the egg mixture is about the same temperature as the cranberry sauce, whisk the contents into the remaining cranberry sauce. Add the toasted pecan pieces into the mixture; stir to combine.
Pour into the prepared pie shell. Smooth the filling and arrange or sprinkle the whole pecan pieces over the surface.
Place pie onto the preheated baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
Reduce heat to 350℉ (175℃) and continue to bake for another 30 to 35 minutes, or until the crust is deep golden in colour and the filling is set.
Carefully remove pie from the oven. Transfer pie to a wire rack to cool completely before attempting to slice; at least 3 hours.
- If the crust is browning too fast, cover with aluminium foil and continue to bake until the pie is done.
- Make sure the pie cools for the allotted time to ensure that the filling is set and does not run out when sliced.