- 2½ cups (313 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (164 g) yellow cornmeal, fine
- 2 tsp (10 g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (6 g) salt
- 1 tsp (5 g) baking soda
- ⅓ cup (76 g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ¼ cup (63 ml) canola oil
- ¼ cup (54 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar (packed)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 ml) whole milk
- ¾ cup (188 ml) sour cream
- 1 cup (160 g) fresh kernels from 1 cob of corn or frozen corn
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Grease a 13x9-inch pan or a 10” cast iron skillet.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Whisk together until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the melted butter, canola oil, and Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar together until combined.
4. Whisk eggs into the wet mixture.
5. Add milk and sour cream, whisk until fully blended.
6. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, gently fold together until a few flour streaks remain.
7. Fold in the corn kernels, making sure they are evenly distributed.
8. Pour the batter and smooth into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cornbread comes out clean and the top is golden brown in colour. Let cool before slicing.
*Redpath Dark Brown Sugar can be used in place of the Redpath Golden Yellow Sugar.
*The fine cornmeal can be substituted with medium or coarse cornmeal; however, the cornbread will be more crumbly and a bit drier in texture. Best to use a mixture of fine and coarse cornmeal if wanting to substitute.
*Try using white or blue cornmeal in place of the yellow cornmeal.
*Full-fat yogurt can be substituted for the sour cream.
*Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of minced jalapenos when adding the corn kernels for added heat. Keep the seeds if you want it extra spicy. Remove for a subtle hint of spice.
*Add 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese (or any cheese) to the dry ingredients for cheesy cornbread.
*Experiment by adding minced garlic, fresh or dried herbs (eg. thyme, rosemary, chives, sage).
*Spread with butter and/or honey sprinkled with salt.
*Serve as a side to chili, soups, or stews.