chill for 6 hours 20 minutes
- 3 cups (450 g) fresh or frozen cherries, pitted
- 1 ½ cups (300 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) cold water, divided
- 2 tsp (5 g) cornstarch
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp (5 ml) almond extract
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- ¾ cup (170 g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) heavy (35%) cream
- In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch into the water until smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, bring the cherries, ¾ cup (150 grams) Redpath® Granulated Sugar and lemon juice to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring, until slightly thickened and cherries begin to burst, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the cherries and cook for 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Bring a medium saucepan with 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) of water to a simmer. Combine the eggs, yolks, the remaining ¾ cup (150 grams) sugar, almond extract and salt in a heatproof bowl. Set the mixture over the simmering water and beat with an electric mixer, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, as needed. Beat until pale, thick and the mixture reaches 160°F (71°C) on an instant-read thermometer, about 8 minutes.
- Remove egg mixture from heat and let cool, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Cover with cling film and chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Using clean beaters, whip the heavy cream in a chilled bowl to soft peaks. Add the cream cheese and beat together until stiff peaks form.
- Stir a large spoonful of the cream mixture into the chilled egg mixture. Gently fold in the rest of the cream mixture in two additions until just combined. Dollop the cooled cherry mixture on top and fold in a couple times, leaving large streaks visible.
- Pour into a 6 cup (1.5 litre) container, cover and freeze until firm; at least 6 hours.
- Serve Cherry Semifreddo in bowls, or scooped in between cookies! You can use our Chocolate Chip Cookies, Homemade Graham Crackers or Lime and Coconut Sugar Cookies to sandwich this delicious treat.