Challah Bread Pudding with Chocolate and Dried Fruit
8 to 10 servings
- 8 cups (330 g) cubed day-old challah bread (about 10 slices)
- 1 cup (190 g) dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup (110 g) dried cherries
- 2 cups (500 ml) 3.25% milk
- ½ cup (108 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- ¼ cup (60 ml) melted butter
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) orange juice
- 1 tsp (5g) orange zest
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
Grease a 9 x 9 inch (23 x 23 cm) baking dish with butter and set aside.
In a large bowl mix together cubed bread, chocolate, and dried cherries.
Whisk together milk, Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, melted butter, eggs, orange juice, orange zest, and vanilla. Pour over bread and mix well.
Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish, cover with foil and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
Place in preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and set.
Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- If you don't have dried cherries, dried cranberries or raisins will also work.
- Make this recipe extra decadent by stirring in ¼ cup (30 g) of cocoa powder into the milk mixture.