We think breakfast and brunch always go better with muffins! If you love muffin tops, you’ll be crazy about the maple crumble topping. Don’t stop ‘til you reach the bottom, though, because every bite is exploding with sweet blueberries nestled in the rich buttermilk muffin. These are bakery-quality muffins you can make at home, and they’re ready in a jiffy!
Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar
Light-coloured and just right for baking, the subtle notes of caramel and moist texture make it ideal for allowing delicate flavours to shine through in your creations.
Redpath® Special Fine Granulated Sugar 2kg
An economically-sized bag of our versatile granulated sugar, it’s ideal for sweetening coffee and tea, baking, preserving, canning, and cooking.
For the crumble topping:
- ½ cup (63 g) all-purpose flour ½ cup (63 g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp (1 g) ground cinnamon ¼ tsp (1 g) ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (1 g) ground nutmeg ¼ tsp (1 g) ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp (2 g) salt ¼ tsp (2 g) salt
- ¼ cup (57 g) butter, melted ¼ cup (57 g) butter, melted
- 3 tbsp (42 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar 3 tbsp (42 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar
- ½ tsp (2 ml) pure vanilla extract ½ tsp (2 ml) pure vanilla extract
For the muffins:
- 2 ¼ cups (281 g) all-purpose flour 2 ¼ cups (281 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (109 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar ½ cup (109 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar
- ½ cup (100 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar ½ cup (100 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp (10 g) baking powder 2 tsp (10 g) baking powder
- ½ tsp (3 g) baking soda ½ tsp (3 g) baking soda
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- ½ tsp (1 g) ground nutmeg ½ tsp (1 g) ground nutmeg
- ½ cup (125 ml) buttermilk ½ cup (125 ml) buttermilk
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp (85 g) butter, melted ¼ cup + 2 tbsp (85 g) butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly whisked 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 2 tsp (4 g) finely grated orange zest 2 tsp (4 g) finely grated orange zest
- 1 ½ tsp (7 ml) pure vanilla extract 1 ½ tsp (7 ml) pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp (2ml) pure almond extract ½ tsp (2ml) pure almond extract
- 1 ½ cups (222 g) blueberries 1 ½ cups (222 g) blueberries
For the crumble:
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In a microwave-safe bowl or measuring cup, melt butter at 10 second intervals until butter is melted.
Whisk in the 3 tbsp of Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar and pure vanilla extract until well mixed. Pour the butter-sugar mixture over the dry ingredients and with a fork or your fingertips work into the dry ingredients until clumps form.
For the muffins:
Preheat oven to 425ºF (218ºC). Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, Redpath Granulated Sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground nutmeg until well combined.
In a large measuring cup, whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter, egg, orange zest, pure vanilla extract, and almond extract.
Make a well in the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry. With a rubber spatula, fold the mixture together, using as few strokes as possible, until just-combined.
Fold in the blueberries.
With a small ice cream scoop, fill each lined muffin well about ¾ full. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with about a tablespoon of the crumble topping. Lightly pat the topping into the batter.
Place into the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350ºF (177ºC). Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
Take out of the oven and allow to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes before removing from pan and placing onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
*If buttermilk is unavailable, a good substitute is to stir 1 tablespoon (15 millilitres) of white vinegar or lemon juice into 1 cup (240 millilitres) of milk. Allow to sit and thicken; 5 to 10 minutes. Proceed with the recipe, as usual, using the necessary amount of buttermilk required.