Blueberry Crumble Buckle
40 to 45 minutes
For the crumble topping
- ⅔ cup (145 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- ¾ cup (94 g) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (4 g) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2 g) ground ginger
- ¼ tsp (2 g) salt
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp (85 g) butter, cubed
For the cake
- 2 cups + 3 tbsp (273 g) all purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 g) baking powder
- ½ tsp (3 g) baking soda
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- ⅓ cup (76 g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (217 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 large egg yolk
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) milk
- 1 tbsp (6 g) lemon zest
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups (333 g) fresh blueberries
For the crumble:
Preheat oven to 350℉ (175℃). Lightly grease and line a 9 inch (23 centimetres) square baking pan with parchment paper leaving about a 2 inch (5 centimetres) overhang on all sides for easy removal.
In a medium bowl, thoroughly whisk together the Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, all purpose flour, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
With a fork or fingertips, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until mixture becomes crumb-like in texture. Set aside in the fridge until needed.
For the cake:
In a large bowl, whisk together the all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well blended.
In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter until smooth and creamy; about 1 minute.
Add in the Redpath® Golden Sugar. Cream butter and sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy and lightened in colour; about 3 minutes.
Add in the egg and egg yolk, incorporate into the batter.
In a large measuring cup, whisk together the milk, lemon zest, and vanilla extract.
Pour ⅓ of the milk mixture into the batter. Starting on low-speed blend into the batter. Add in half of the dry ingredients.
Mix until just combined. Repeat process, ending with the wet ingredients.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth out the batter. Evenly sprinkle the blueberries over the surface. Sprinkle the crumble over the blueberries.
Place the buckle into the preheated oven. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Remove from the oven. Allow blueberry crumble buckle to cool on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes before serving. Using a sharp serrated knife, slice into squares.
- Ensure all ingredients are at room temperature before beginning.
- Substitute any available berries for the blueberries: fresh strawberries (sliced), raspberries, halved cherries, or blackberries.
- Substitute buttermilk for the milk which will add a pleasant subtle tang to the cake. Combine ⅔ cup (160 milliliters) milk with 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of lemon juice and let sit for 5 minutes until thickened.