What you need:
- 2 cups (190 g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 g) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 g) salt
- 1 cup (200 g) Redpath Granulated Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp (1 g) almond extract
- 1 tsp (5 g) ground anise
- chocolate, for drizzling on cooled biscotti
How to prepare:
1. Heat oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.
3. In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs, sugar, and almond extract until light and fluffy.
4. Add the flour mixture a little bit at a time, stirring after each addition until just combined.
5. Fold in ground anise.
6. Divide the dough in two, then shape each half into a rectangular log. Place each log on baking sheet, two inches apart. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
7. Let the logs cool for about 10 minutes, until cool enough to handle. Using a serrated knife, cut the logs into slices about 1/2" thick, then return the slices to the baking sheet, sliced side up. Bake for 4 minutes, then turn the biscotti over and bake for another 4 minutes. Let cool completely on the pans. Once cooled, drizzle on some melted chocolate, if you so desire. Note: If you don't want your biscotti to be too crunchy, reduce the time of the second bake.