You’ve taken the time to make perfectly fluffy pancakes or waffles. Why not go the extra step and make your own syrup, too? It’s a simple, sweet, and delicious way to add some extra love to your breakfast or brunch.
- 2 cups (400 g) Redpath® Organic Granulated Sugar 2 cups (400 g) Redpath® Organic Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) water 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) molasses 3 tbsp (45 ml) molasses
- 1 tsp (5 ml) organic apple cider vinegar 1 tsp (5 ml) organic apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp (43 g) butter, cubed 3 tbsp (43 g) butter, cubed
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract 1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- ½ to 1 tsp (2 to 5 ml) pure maple extract (optional) ½ to 1 tsp (2 to 5 ml) pure maple extract (optional)
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt ½ tsp (3 g) salt
In a heavy-bottomed pot, combine the Redpath® Organic Granulated Sugar, water, molasses, and apple cider vinegar. Place onto medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar, and bring to a boil. Once mixture is boiling, lower heat to medium-low and simmer, without stirring; 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and whisk in the cubed butter until thoroughly blended. Add in the pure vanilla extract, pure maple extract (if using), and salt. Whisk to combine.
Serve immediately, or pour into a clean glass jar and cool completely. Cover jar with a lid and store in the fridge for up to 1 month.
*Use organic produce and products wherever possible. Organic produce and products can be found in the organic aisle of any major grocery store or in health food stores.
*White vinegar or lemon juice can be used in place of the organic apple cider vinegar.
*For another flavour dimension add the zest of an orange or lemon to the syrup when stirring in the extracts.
*Syrup will thicken considerably when placed into the fridge. Gently rewarm syrup by dipping jar into a bowl of hot water until syrup becomes pourable. Alternatively, remove the lid and reheat syrup in the microwave at 10-second intervals.