Chocolate and strawberries are a match made in heaven so we brought them together in this divine recipe! You’ll love every spoonful of rich chocolatey oats blended perfectly with trendy, delicious avocado. The compote topping completes the combo, and there’s a bit of citrus tang to take it to the next level. Make it the night before and it’ll be ready to go when you are.
For the strawberry compote:
- 1 lb (454 g) strawberries, washed and hulled (halve or quarter large berries; leave small ones whole) 1 lb (454 g) strawberries, washed and hulled (halve or quarter large berries; leave small ones whole)
- 1 cup (200 g) Redpath® Organic Granulated Sugar, divided 1 cup (200 g) Redpath® Organic Granulated Sugar, divided
- 3 tsp (15 ml) pure vanilla extract, divided 3 tsp (15 ml) pure vanilla extract, divided
- ¼ cup (60 ml) orange juice, freshly squeezed, divided ¼ cup (60 ml) orange juice, freshly squeezed, divided
- 2 tsp (5 g) cornstarch 2 tsp (5 g) cornstarch
For the avocado overnight oats:
- 2 cups (300 g) ripe avocado, cubed 2 cups (300 g) ripe avocado, cubed
- ¼ cup (25 g) cocoa powder ¼ cup (25 g) cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp (15 g) coconut flakes or shredded coconut, lightly toasted 3 tbsp (15 g) coconut flakes or shredded coconut, lightly toasted
- 1½ cups (750 ml) unsweetened coconut milk beverage or “Vanilla Oat Beverage” 1½ cups (750 ml) unsweetened coconut milk beverage or “Vanilla Oat Beverage”
- 1 tsp (2 g) orange zest, finely grated 1 tsp (2 g) orange zest, finely grated
- ½ tsp (1 g) ground ginger ½ tsp (1 g) ground ginger
- ¼ tsp (2 g) salt ¼ tsp (2 g) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 g) ground cinnamon ¼ tsp (1 g) ground cinnamon
- 1¼ cup (110 g) large flaked oats 1¼ cup (110 g) large flaked oats
- Cubed or sliced avocado Cubed or sliced avocado
- Toasted, flaked, or shredded coconut Toasted, flaked, or shredded coconut
- Chocolate chips or cocoa nibs Chocolate chips or cocoa nibs
- Orange zest, finely grated Orange zest, finely grated
For the compote:
In a medium heavy-bottomed pot, place strawberries, ½ cup (100 grams) of the Redpath® Organic Sugar, and 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of pure vanilla extract over medium heat.
Whisk together 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of orange juice and cornstarch until no lumps remain. Set aside.
Stir strawberry mixture occasionally until sugar melts and mixture begins to bubble. Whisk in the orange juice/cornstarch slurry.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 5 to 8 minutes, or until mixture thickens and berries are tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
For the overnight oats:
In a blender, place the cubed avocado, the remaining ½ cup (100 grams) of sugar, cocoa powder, flaked or shredded coconut, the remaining 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of orange juice, and the remaining 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of vanilla extract. Blend until smooth.
Add in the coconut milk beverage (or Vanilla Oat Beverage, if using), orange zest, ginger, salt, and cinnamon. Blend until thoroughly mixed.
In a bowl, combine the large flaked oats with the avocado mixture and mix well with a rubber spatula.
Place ⅛ of the mixture into each jar or small bowl (4 portions), and place a layer of the cooled strawberry compote (approximately 2 tablespoons / 30 ml) onto the overnight oats. Divide the remaining oat mixture amongst the 4 containers. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight.
Spoon a layer of strawberry compote over the chocolate-avocado overnight oats. Garnish with fresh avocado, toasted coconut, chocolate chips or cocoa nibs, and/or orange zest, if desired.