These delightful golden brown treats are worthy of a place at the end of the rainbow! The stout in the cupcakes adds a rich flavour that pairs beautifully with the sweet frosting. Make them part of your next St. Patrick's Day celebration!
Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar
Light-coloured and just right for baking, the subtle notes of caramel and moist texture make it ideal for allowing delicate flavours to shine through in your creations.
Redpath® Icing Sugar
Use it to make the smoothest frostings, icings, and glazes you’ve ever seen for the finishing touch on your cakes, cupcakes, and more.
For the cupcakes:
- 3 3/4 cups (925 ml) all-purpose flour 3 3/4 cups (925 ml) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp (2.5 ml) baking soda 3/4 tsp (2.5 ml) baking soda
- 1 3/4 tsp (8 ml) baking powder 1 3/4 tsp (8 ml) baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp (6 ml) salt 1 1/4 tsp (6 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 tsp (6 ml) freshly grated nutmeg 1 1/4 tsp (6 ml) freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) vegetable oil 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup (140 ml) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar 2/3 cup (140 ml) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) molasses 1/4 cup (50 ml) molasses
- 2 large whole eggs plus one egg yolk 2 large whole eggs plus one egg yolk
- 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) stout beer, poured and settled 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) stout beer, poured and settled
For the Irish cream frosting:
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) Irish cream liqueur 1/4 cup (50 mL) Irish cream liqueur
- 3 cups (750 mL) Redpath® Icing Sugar 3 cups (750 mL) Redpath® Icing Sugar
For the cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
In a medium sized bowl whisk together baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, baking soda, and salt.
In a separate bowl, beat oil, molasses, brown sugar, eggs, and stout until combined.
Gradually add flour mixture the wet ingredients, and mix until just combined.
Fill the muffin tins each ¾ full.
Bake for 20 – 25 minutes. Let cool completely on wire racks before icing with Irish Cream Frosting.
For the frosting:
Beat the butter until light and fluffy.
Add 1/2 cup of icing sugar, mixing until well combined, then add 1 tbsp of Irish cream.
Alternate adding the icing sugar and remaining Irish cream until the you have a smooth and creamy icing that is perfect for piping.
Using a large star tip, pipe a swirl design onto each cooled cupcake. Top with St. Patrick’s Day sprinkles to make them even more festive.
*The cupcakes will keep well for up to 5 days if stored in an airtight container in the fridge.