This pear cocktail is perfect for any gathering. The aromatic mixture of spices we added to the simple syrup will make the whole house smell like fall. Plus you can use this syrup in your favorite baked goods.
For the cocktail:
- 1½ cups (354 ml) pear nectar 1½ cups (354 ml) pear nectar
- ¾ cup (177 ml) vodka ¾ cup (177 ml) vodka
- 8 tbsp (118 ml) Spiced Vanilla Pear Simple Syrup (recipe follows) 8 tbsp (118 ml) Spiced Vanilla Pear Simple Syrup (recipe follows)
- Ice Ice
For the Spiced Vanilla Pear Simple Syrup:
- 2 Bosc pears 2 Bosc pears
- 1 cup (250 ml) water 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1 cup (200 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar 1 cup (200 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- ½ vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped ½ vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 5 slices (10 g) ginger 5 slices (10 g) ginger
- 3 cloves 3 cloves
- Peels of one small orange Peels of one small orange
- 1 star anise 1 star anise
- Sliced pears Sliced pears
- Star anise Star anise
- Orange twists Orange twists
For the simple syrup:
Dice pears. In a small saucepan, over medium heat, place water, sugar, diced pears, vanilla bean (seeds and pod included), sliced ginger, cloves, orange peel, and star anise.
Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Lower heat and simmer syrup for 15 minutes. Turn off heat, cover pot with plastic wrap. Let steep for at least 20 minutes, preferably overnight, or until syrup has completely cooled. Strain and discard solids.
For the assembly:
Fill 4 lowball glasses halfway with ice. In a large pitcher or shaker filled halfway with ice, pour in pear nectar and vodka. Add in pear simple syrup. Stir or shake vigorously. Strain into prepared glasses. Garnish with a whole star anise or pear slice or orange twists.
*Spiced Vanilla Pear Simple Syrup can be made several days in advance, and stored in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.
*Leftover simple syrup can be added to other alcoholic drinks, replace sugar in tea or coffee, or used to moisten cake layers.
*Remove orange rind, star anise, and vanilla bean, and enjoy reserved spiced pears over vanilla ice cream. Also delicious mashed into a batch of fresh applesauce!