Spiced Vanilla Pear Cocktail
What you need for the cocktail
- sliced pears, star anise, and orange twists for garnish (optional).
- 1 ½ cups (354 ml) pear nectar
- 3/4 cup (177 ml) vodka
- 8 tbsp (118 ml) Spiced Vanilla Pear Simple Syrup (recipe follows)
What you need for the Spiced Vanilla Pear Simple Syrup
- 2 bosc pears
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1 cup (200 g) Redpath ® Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 5 slices (10 g) ginger
- 3 cloves
- small orange, peel
- 1 star anise
How to prepare the simple syrup:
1. Dice pears. In a small saucepan, over medium heat, place water, sugar, diced pears, vanilla bean (seeds and pod included), sliced ginger, cloves, orange peel, and star anise.
2. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Lower heat and simmer syrup for 15 minutes. Turn off heat, cover pot with plastic wrap. Let steep for at least 20 minutes, preferably overnight, or until syrup has completely cooled. Strain and discard solids.
How to assemble:
1. Fill 4 lowball glasses halfway with ice. In a large pitcher or shaker filled halfway with ice, pour in pear nectar and vodka. Add in pear simple syrup. Stir or shake vigorously. Strain into prepared glasses. Garnish with a whole star anise or pear slice or orange twists.
- Spiced Vanilla Pear Simple Syrup can be made several days in advance, and stored in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.
- Leftover simple syrup can be added to other alcoholic drinks, replace sugar in tea or coffee, or used to moisten cake layers.
- Remove orange rind, star anise, and vanilla bean, and enjoy reserved spiced pears over vanilla ice cream. Also delicious mashed into a batch of fresh applesauce!