Quick Tomato Jam and Crostini
2 cups (550 g)
For the Tomato Jam
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely minced
- 2 tsp (10 g) minced garlic
- 1 tsp (3 g) minced fresh thyme
- 1 tsp (2 g) minced fresh oregano
- ¾ tsp (4 g) salt
- ½ tsp (3 g) pepper
- ¼ tsp (1 g) chili flakes
- 2 lb (900 g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup (200 g) Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar, firmly packed
For the crostini
- 1 french baguette, cut into ¼-inch slices, approximately 25 slices
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- ½ cup (40 g) grated parmesan cheese
For the Tomato Jam:
Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Stir in onions and cook for 10-15 minutes or until soft and golden, stirring occasionally.
Stir in garlic, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Cook stirring for 1 minute.
Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes have broken down and released most of their moisture; about 20 minutes. Stir in vinegar and cook for 1 minute.
Add Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar to pan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture has thickened; about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
For the Crostini:
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Scatter bread slices in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Brush each side of bread with olive oil.
Place in preheated oven and bake until golden; about 5 minutes per side.
Spread 1 tbsp (15 g) of tomato jam on each crostini, sprinkle with cheese, and serve.
- Plum tomatoes, with the seeds removed, can be used in place of cherry tomatoes.
- Mix together 1 (130 g) package of goats cheese with 2 tbsp (30 ml) milk, spread on baked crostini and top with tomato jam for an easy variation to the sweet treat.