We're in love with the versatility of this recipe. Is it breakfast, a snack, or a dessert? Who knows! All we know is that this colourful pineapple coconut chia seed parfait is, well, perfect.
- 2 cups (520 g) plain yogurt or Greek yogurt 2 cups (520 g) plain yogurt or Greek yogurt
- 2 cups (480 ml) coconut milk 2 cups (480 ml) coconut milk
- ¾ cup (132 g) chia seeds, organic ¾ cup (132 g) chia seeds, organic
- ⅓ cup (67 g) Redpath ® Demerara Sugar, lightly packed ⅓ cup (67 g) Redpath ® Demerara Sugar, lightly packed
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ tsp (3 g) cinnamon ½ tsp (3 g) cinnamon
- ½ of a fresh medium (365 g) pineapple, cored and cut into chunks ½ of a fresh medium (365 g) pineapple, cored and cut into chunks
- 1 cup (88 g) unsweetened coconut (flakes/shredded), toasted 1 cup (88 g) unsweetened coconut (flakes/shredded), toasted
- 1 cup (97 g) sliced almonds, toasted 1 cup (97 g) sliced almonds, toasted
In a large bowl, stir together yogurt, coconut milk, chia seeds, Redpath® Demerara Sugar, and vanilla extract. Sprinkle in cinnamon. Stir to combine. Cover bowl and let yogurt mixture sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
Place bowl in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight. Stir the chilled yogurt mixture before spooning into glasses or bowls.
Meanwhile prepare the pineapple. With a sharp chef’s knife, cut the top and bottom off. Place the fruit upright. Start slicing off the skin of the pineapple, slicing from the top to the bottom of the fruit. Follow the contours of the fruit. Cut pineapple in half, lengthwise. Set one half aside for another use. With the other half, slice the fruit in half again. Cut off the core of the pineapple. Slice the quartered pineapple into chunks. Set aside in a bowl until ready to assemble parfaits.
In a preheated oven set to 325℉ (163℃) place coconut and sliced almonds onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Watch closely as they can brown very quickly, about 7 to 10 minutes.
Place approximately ½ cup (120 ml) of yogurt in the bottom of each glass. Place several chunks of fresh pineapple on top of the yogurt. Sprinkle with about a tablespoon each of toasted almonds and coconut.
Spoon another ½ cup (120 ml) of yogurt over the pineapple, almonds, and coconut. Garnish with a few chunks of pineapple, and sprinkle with more toasted almonds and coconut.