Isn’t it fun to open up a package and find a wonderful surprise inside? Each one of these pastry parcels is a delicious present of flavour. The flaky pastry contrasts beautifully with the creamy goat cheese, and the sweet and savoury blend of pears, almond, and rosemary is the gift that keeps on giving through every bite. You’ll want to open another one right away!
- 2 tbsp (28 g) butter 2 tbsp (28 g) butter
- 1 small onion (105 g) finely sliced 1 small onion (105 g) finely sliced
- 3 pears (300 g) peeled and chopped 3 pears (300 g) peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp (4 g) minced rosemary 1 tsp (4 g) minced rosemary
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- ¼ cup (50 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, packed ¼ cup (50 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- ⅓ cup (40 g) toasted and chopped almonds ⅓ cup (40 g) toasted and chopped almonds
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry, defrosted 6 sheets phyllo pastry, defrosted
- 3 tbsp (42 ml) melted butter 3 tbsp (42 ml) melted butter
- ¼ cup (65 g) goat cheese, crumbled ¼ cup (65 g) goat cheese, crumbled
Melt butter in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft and golden; about 20 minutes.
Increase heat to medium-high and stir in pears, rosemary, and salt; cook for an additional 10 minutes. Stir in Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar and cook, stirring often, until sugar has melted and pears are golden; about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and let mixture cool. Once cooled stir in almonds.
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Working with one sheet of phyllo pastry at a time, keeping the rest covered, brush with melted butter. Place another sheet directly on top, brush with butter and top with a third phyllo sheet. Using a sharp knife slice layered pastry into 12 even squares.
Place 1 heaping tbsp (20 g) of pear filling in the center of each pastry square, and top with ½ tsp (4 g) of goat cheese. Lightly brush the edges of each cut square with butter, bring corners together and pinch in the center to seal and form a parcel. Place on prepared baking sheet.
Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets.
Place in preheated oven and bake until golden; about 10-12 minutes. Let cool slightly then place on a wire cooling rack; serve warm or at room temperature.
*Turn this into a sweet treat by omitting the onions and stirring 2 tbsp (25 g) of Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar and 1 tsp (3 g) cinnamon into the goat cheese; assemble like original recipe.
*Any leftover pastry can be re-rolled and wrapped in plastic wrap and either stored in the fridge for 1 week or freezer for 3 months.