Pear, Almond, and Goat Cheese Parcels
- 2 tbsp (28 g) butter
- 1 small onion (105 g) finely sliced
- 3 pears (300 g) peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp (4 g) minced rosemary
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- ¼ cup (50 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, loosely packed
- 1/3 cup (40 g) toasted and chopped almonds
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry, defrosted
- 3 tbsp (42 ml) melted butter
- 1/4 cup (65 g) goat cheese, crumbled
Melt butter in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft and golden; about 20 minutes.
Increase heat to medium-high and stir in pears, rosemary, and salt; cook for an additional 10 minutes. Stir in Redpath® Brown Sugar and cook, stirring often, until sugar has melted and pears are golden; about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and let mixture cool. Once cooled stir in almonds.
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Working with one sheet of phyllo pastry at a time, keeping the rest covered, brush with melted butter. Place another sheet directly on top, brush with butter and top with a third phyllo sheet. Using a sharp knife slice layered pastry into 12 even squares.
Place 1 heaping tbsp (20 g) of pear filling in the center of each pastry square, and top with ½ tsp (4 g) of goat cheese. Lightly brush the edges of each cut square with butter, bring corners together and pinch in the center to seal and form a parcel. Place on prepared baking sheet.
Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets.
Place in preheated oven and bake until golden; about 10-12 minutes. Let cool slightly then place on a wire cooling rack; serve warm or at room temperature.
- Turn this into a sweet treat by omitting the onions and stirring 2 tbsp (25 g) of Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar and 1 tsp (3 g) cinnamon into the goat cheese; assemble like original recipe.
- Any leftover pastry can be re-rolled and wrapped in plastic wrap and either stored in the fridge for 1 week or freezer for 3 months.