Ring in the new year with these tasty teriyaki beef appetizers. They’re a bit sweet and salty with a little gingery kick, and are the perfect snack to serve with champagne.
6 hours to marinade
- 1 cup (250 mL) soy sauce 1 cup (250 mL) soy sauce
- ½ cup (125 mL) water ½ cup (125 mL) water
- 1½ cup (300 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar 1½ cup (300 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) vegetable oil ¼ cup (60 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 g) grated fresh ginger 2 tbsp (30 g) grated fresh ginger
- 4 lbs boneless round steak 4 lbs boneless round steak
- Wooden skewers Wooden skewers
In a large bowl, combine soy sauce, water, brown sugar, and oil.
Use a microplane to grate the garlic cloves and ginger, or mince them with a knife. Add to the sugar mixture.
Gently cut the steak into square pieces, then place them in the marinade. Cover with plastic and transfer to the fridge to let them marinate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Before cooking the beef, soak the skewers in water for 30 minutes (this will prevent them from burning while in the oven).
Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Pierce the pieces of beef on the skewers, then place on a parchment-lined baking tray. Cook in the oven for a total of 30 minutes, rotating the skewers every 10 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.