Now, these are cupcakes with class! They’re lightly sweet with sparkling citrus notes and a hint of savoury aroma. Add the dark chocolate ganache, and suddenly the flavours pop! It’s a dessert experience you won’t soon forget.
30 minutes chilling time
Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar
Light-coloured and just right for baking, the subtle notes of caramel and moist texture make it ideal for allowing delicate flavours to shine through in your creations.
Redpath® Special Fine Granulated Sugar 2kg
An economically-sized bag of our versatile granulated sugar, it’s ideal for sweetening coffee and tea, baking, preserving, canning, and cooking.
- 1½ cups (188 g) all-purpose flour 1½ cups (188 g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (34 g) cornstarch ¼ cup (34 g) cornstarch
- 1½ tsp (7 g) baking powder 1½ tsp (7 g) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 g) baking soda ½ tsp (2 g) baking soda
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- ⅔ cup (145 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed ⅔ cup (145 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed
- ⅓ cup (67 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar ⅓ cup (67 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- 2 tbsp (12 g) orange zest, finely grated 2 tbsp (12 g) orange zest, finely grated
- 5 tsp (8 g) fresh rosemary, finely minced 5 tsp (8 g) fresh rosemary, finely minced
- ¼ cup (60 ml) orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed ¼ cup (60 ml) orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- ¼ cup (60 ml) plain yogurt ¼ cup (60 ml) plain yogurt
- 2 tsp (10 ml) pure vanilla extract 2 tsp (10 ml) pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp (2 ml) pure orange extract ½ tsp (2 ml) pure orange extract
- ¾ cup (170 g) butter ¾ cup (170 g) butter
- 2 eggs 2 eggs
For the chocolate ganache frosting:
- 1 cup (170 g) dark chocolate chips or finely chopped dark chocolate 1 cup (170 g) dark chocolate chips or finely chopped dark chocolate
- 1 cup (250 ml) heavy cream 1 cup (250 ml) heavy cream
- Candied oranges - see recipe in Chef's Tips Candied oranges - see recipe in Chef's Tips
- Orange zest Orange zest
- Fresh rosemary or candied rosemary Fresh rosemary or candied rosemary
For the cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two muffin tins with 16 paper liners.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, Redpath® Granulated Sugar, orange zest, and minced rosemary. Rub the zest and rosemary into the sugars until well mixed and fragrant. Set aside.
In a measuring cup, whisk together the fresh orange juice, yogurt, and extracts. Set aside until needed.
In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, cream the butter until fluffy; about 2 minutes. Add in the orange-rosemary sugar and cream until sugar is fully incorporated and the mixture is pale in colour; another 2 minutes.
Add in the eggs, one at a time, ensuring each egg is fully incorporated into the batter before adding the next egg or ingredient.
Transfer a third of the dry ingredients into the batter. Blend on low speed until just combined. Add in half of the wet ingredients and cream on low speed until just combined. Repeat process with remaining wet and dry ingredients, ending with the dry ingredients. Once all the ingredients are in the bowl, increase speed to medium-low speed and blend well for 1 minute; do not overmix.
Using an ice cream scoop or small ladle, fill liners about ⅔ full. Bake until cupcakes are golden brown in colour, or until a skewer when inserted into the centre comes out clean with a few moist crumbs attached; about 18 to 20 minutes.
Allow cupcakes to cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
For the ganache frosting:
Place the dark chocolate chips into a heat-proof bowl.
In a small pot, heat heavy cream over medium-high heat until it just begins to simmer. Remove from heat and carefully pour cream over the chocolate. Let sit for 2 minutes.
With a whisk, slowly stir the hot cream into the chocolate until mixture is homogeneous and glossy.
Place ganache into the fridge to chill, stirring every 10 minutes or so to prevent a skin from forming and until ganache has cooled and is thick enough to spread; 30 minutes.
Remove ganache from fridge. With a whisk, gently whisk a few times until slightly thickened.
With a spoon or small offset spatula (or transfer ganache into a piping bag fitted with desired tip), spread the chocolate ganache onto the completely cooled orange-rosemary cupcakes.
Garnish with candied oranges, orange zest, and/or fresh rosemary, if desired.
*Zest orange(s) before juicing. Any leftover zest can be wrapped well in plastic wrap or placed in a small container and frozen for future use.
*Lemons or Limes can be used in place of the orange zest and orange juice used in the recipe. Replace pure orange extract with pure lemon or lime extract.
*For a different look, the chocolate ganache frosting can be also be used to dip the tops of the cupcakes. After combining the chocolate and hot cream together, let cool for about 10 minutes at room temperature or until the ganache is slightly thickened and is no longer hot to the touch. Carefully dip the tops of the cooled cupcakes into the ganache and place, right side up, onto a wire cooling rack to cool and set completely. To quickly set the ganache, place dipped cupcakes into the fridge; 10 minutes.
Corresponding recipe: Candied Oranges