Imagine yourself lounging at a café, in a far-off European metropolis, sipping on your morning nectar, and enjoying a delicious Orange Cardamom Biscotti. The fresh fruit flavours are amplified by the white chocolate, so that your morning coffee doesn't just wake you up, but excites you for the day ahead.
Redpath® Fliptop Vase with Granulated Sugar
Gorgeous and mess-free, you won’t want to hide this elegant container in the pantry. Skip the sugar bowl and put it out for tea or coffee with company; pouring out a spoonful couldn’t be easier.
Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar
Light-coloured and just right for baking, the subtle notes of caramel and moist texture make it ideal for allowing delicate flavours to shine through in your creations.
- ⅓ cup (67 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar ⅓ cup (67 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- ⅓ cup (72 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, firmly packed ⅓ cup (72 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tbsp (12 g) orange zest, finely grated 2 tbsp (12 g) orange zest, finely grated
- 2 cups (250 g) all purpose flour 2 cups (250 g) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 g) baking powder 1 tsp (5 g) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (2 g) salt ¼ tsp (2 g) salt
- ⅓ cup (76 g) unsalted butter, softened ⅓ cup (76 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp (5 ml) honey 1 tsp (5 ml) honey
- 2 large eggs 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp (9 g) ground cardamom 1 tbsp (9 g) ground cardamom
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) orange blossom water 1 tbsp (15 ml) orange blossom water
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup (48 g) whole pistachios, roughly chopped ⅓ cup (48 g) whole pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 egg + 1 tbsp (15 ml) water (for the egg wash) 1 egg + 1 tbsp (15 ml) water (for the egg wash)
- 1 ½ cups (255 g) chopped white chocolate or chips 1 ½ cups (255 g) chopped white chocolate or chips
Preheat oven to 350℉ (175℃). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, mix the sugars together with the orange zest. Rub the sugar and orange zest together to release the orange oils and flavours into the sugar. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In stand-up mixer, on medium speed, cream together the softened butter, the sugar mixture, and the honey until it is thoroughly mixed, about 3 minutes.
Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each one before adding the next.
Add the cardamom, orange blossom water, and vanilla extract. Mix to incorporate.
Add chopped pistachios, and mix until the nuts are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
On low speed, add the flour in parts, combining slightly before adding additional flour.
On a flat and lightly floured surface, shape the dough into a 3 inches (7.5 centimetres) wide log about 12 inches (30 centimetres) in length. Carefully transfer the log onto the prepared baking sheet. Lightly flatten the log with the palm of your hand, keeping the sides of the log as flat as possible. The height of the flattened log should approximately be half an inch (1.25 centimetres). Place into the fridge to rest and chill; about 15 minutes.
Lightly brush the top of the log with the egg wash. Place the biscotti into the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes. Rotate baking sheet halfway through baking.
Take biscotti out of the oven, and reduce oven temperature to 325℉ (165℃). Allow biscotti to cool for about 25 minutes. With a sharp serrated knife, slice the log into ¾ inch (1.9 centimetre) slices, placing them back onto the baking sheet, standing up, about a finger-width apart.
Place sliced biscotti back into the oven; 5 to 7 minutes. Take out of oven and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
Place white chocolate in a heat-proof bowl. Place a small sauce pan with about 1 inch (2.5 centimetres) of water over high heat and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and place bowl of chocolate over the hot water. Stir until chocolate is shiny and smooth.
With both hands, grab hold of a cooled biscotti from the base and dip the tops of each biscotti into the melted white chocolate, allowing the excess chocolate to drip off naturally. Flip the biscotti right side up, and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Allow white chocolate to harden; about 30 minutes. Place cooled biscotti into an airtight container for up to 4 weeks.
*If orange blossom water is unavailable, substitute with freshly squeezed orange juice.
*Toasted almonds, walnuts, or hazelnuts may be used in place of the pistachios.
*Feel free to experiment with the dipping: dip the bottoms, dip one end, dip one side, or drizzle the chocolate over the top using a piping bag.
*To speed up the hardening of the white chocolate, place into the fridge for about 5 minutes.
*Serve and dip the biscotti into a fresh espresso or a cup of strong coffee.