When root vegetables are in season, it’s time for savoury homemade dishes like this flavourful side. The rich, earthy taste of beets gives way to a sweeter side when you roast them, and we’ve completed the transformation with a sweetened glaze with a citrus tang. Serve alongside heavily seasoned main courses for delicious contrast.
For the beets:
- 2 lbs (908 g) red beets 2 lbs (908 g) red beets
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp (28 g) butter 2 tbsp (28 g) butter
- 2 pcs shallots, peeled and diced 2 pcs shallots, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp (8 g) all-purpose flour 1 tbsp (8 g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (54 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, packed ¼ cup (54 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- ½ to ¾ cup (125 ml to 188 ml) orange juice, freshly squeezed ½ to ¾ cup (125 ml to 188 ml) orange juice, freshly squeezed
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
For the garnish:
- 1 medium navel orange, skin removed, sliced into ¼-inch pieces 1 medium navel orange, skin removed, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp (8 g) flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped 2 tbsp (8 g) flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
For the beets:
Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Line a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with foil. Scrub beets under cold water to remove any dirt. Cut larger beets in half. Rub beets with the vegetable oil then place into the prepared baking dish. Cover with foil, place into the preheated oven and bake for 1½ hours or until beets are tender. Remove from oven and leave covered; 30 minutes or until cool to the touch.
Peel and prepare the beets, wearing disposable gloves to avoid staining your hands. Gently rub the outside of the beets with a dry paper towel to peel away the skins. Use a paring knife to assist with stubborn skins and to remove caps. Cut beets into 1-inch chunks. Set aside.
For the sauce:
Melt butter in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook until soft and translucent; about 5 minutes. Sprinkle and stir in the flour, and cook for 1 minute. Repeat the process with the Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, and then the ½ cup (125 ml) of orange juice. Stir ingredients together. Heat and stir until sauce is thickened. If desired, add more orange juice for a thinner sauce.
For the assembly:
Add prepared beets to the skillet and heat through. Add half of the prepared oranges, toss or stir and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer to a serving dish or small platter before garnishing with the remaining orange pieces and chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
*Golden, purple, striped, or a mix of beets can be used in place of the red beets.
*Use canola oil for a soy-free dish.
*Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar can be used instead of the Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, in this recipe.
*Lemons can be used in place of the oranges for the juice and in the dish.
*If flat leaf parsley is unavailable, fresh thyme, tarragon, oregano, mint, or chives can be used.