- 1 cup (200 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar 1 cup (200 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- 1 tbsp (6 g) finely grated lemon zest 1 tbsp (6 g) finely grated lemon zest
- 2 ½ cups (313 g) all-purpose flour 2 ½ cups (313 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- ½ tsp (2 g) baking powder ½ tsp (2 g) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 g) baking soda ½ tsp (2 g) baking soda
- ¾ cup (170 g) butter (room temperature) ¾ cup (170 g) butter (room temperature)
- ¼ cup (54 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, firmly packed ¼ cup (54 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg 1 egg
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh lemon juice 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract 1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, rub together the Redpath® Granulated Sugar with the lemon zest until sugar is fragrant and well mixed. Set aside.
In a bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda until thoroughly combined.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream butter, the lemon-sugar mixture, and the Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar until creamy and smooth; about 2 to 3 minutes.
Add in the egg. Mix until incorporated. Add in the lemon juice and vanilla extract and blend until combined.
Add half of the flour mixture into the bowl and mix on medium-low speed until just combined. Add in the remaining flour mixture and mix until combined; do not overmix.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place into the fridge to chill and rest; at least 30 minutes.
With a small ice cream scoop, portion out the cookie dough. Roll the dough between hands and form into a ball. Place onto the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Gently press dough with your palm or the base of a flat-bottomed drinking glass.
Place baking sheets into the freezer to chill; about 5 mins.
Remove baking sheets from freezer and place into the preheated oven. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are a pale golden brown.
Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes before carefully removing and placing onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container between parchment or wax paper for up to a week.
*Zest lemons before cutting and juicing them. Any leftover zest can be placed into a small freezer bag or wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen for future use.
*Roll lemons on work surface while applying pressure before juicing. This breaks the membranes in the lemons, making them easier to juice.
*Dough can be made the night before, wrapped, and chilled in the fridge before scooping and baking the next day.