When you’re pressed for time, this recipe puts a delicious breakfast or reviving snack in the palm of your hand. Each bite-sized morsel is packed with fruit, nuts, and oats - and amazing flavour! Further proof that good things come in small packages.
10 minutes chilling time
- 1 cup (145 g) dried figs, stems removed, roughly chopped 1 cup (145 g) dried figs, stems removed, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup (52 g) dates, pitted and roughly chopped ⅓ cup (52 g) dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- ½ cup (125 ml) water, boiling ½ cup (125 ml) water, boiling
- 1⅓ cup (189 g) hazelnuts, lightly toasted, skins removed (as much as possible) 1⅓ cup (189 g) hazelnuts, lightly toasted, skins removed (as much as possible)
- ⅔ cup (44 g) large flaked oats ⅔ cup (44 g) large flaked oats
- ½ cup (40 g) dried apple rings, finely chopped ½ cup (40 g) dried apple rings, finely chopped
- ½ cup (100 g) Redpath® Organic Granulated Sugar ½ cup (100 g) Redpath® Organic Granulated Sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) tahini 2 tbsp (30 ml) tahini
- 2 tbsp (12 g) cocoa powder 2 tbsp (12 g) cocoa powder
- 2 tsp (10 ml) pure vanilla extract 2 tsp (10 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (3 g) ground cinnamon 1 tsp (3 g) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (1 g) instant espresso powder ½ tsp (1 g) instant espresso powder
- ¼ tsp (2 g) salt ¼ tsp (2 g) salt
In a medium bowl, combine the roughly chopped figs with the dates. Pour the boiling water over the dried fruit; soak for 15 minutes or until soft.
Meanwhile, in the bowl of a large food processor fitted with the metal blade, process the lightly toasted hazelnuts and large flaked oats until nuts are a medium-fine grind. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Add in the dried apple pieces; toss to combine.
Drain the figs and dates, reserving 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the soaking liquid. Place soaked dried fruit into the bowl of the food processor. Add in the Redpath® Organic Granulated Sugar, the reserved soaking liquid, tahini, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, cinnamon, espresso powder, and salt. Process until a smooth paste forms.
Add in the processed nuts, oats, and apples. Pulse a few times until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
Transfer contents into a bowl. Cover and place in the fridge to chill; 10 minutes.
With a small, trigger-style ice cream scoop, scoop portions of the mixture and place onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
With clean hands, roll scoops into balls. Leave bites as is, or roll bites into cocoa powder or oats. For added crunch, roll bites into coarsely ground toasted hazelnuts.
Place bites in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for 1 month.
*Use organic produce and products wherever possible. They can be found in the organic aisle of any major grocery store, or in health food stores.
*If serving these to young children, omit the espresso powder.
*Tahini can be replaced with any nut butter (hazelnut, almond, peanut).