Need some energy to go? These mouth-wateringly good bites check all the boxes for convenience and tasty ingredients. They’re super easy to make, and they’re kid-friendly, too! Perfect for a breakfast supplement, a between-meal boost, or a welcome lunch box treat. Roll up some energy today!
- 1½ cups (235 g) pitted and chopped dates 1½ cups (235 g) pitted and chopped dates
- ½ cup (100 g) Redpath® Organic Granulated Sugar ½ cup (100 g) Redpath® Organic Granulated Sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) orange juice 1 tbsp (15 ml) orange juice
- 1 cup (100 g) quick oats 1 cup (100 g) quick oats
- ½ cup (60 g) chopped walnuts ½ cup (60 g) chopped walnuts
- ½ cup (60 g) chopped almonds ½ cup (60 g) chopped almonds
- ½ cup (60 g) dried cranberries ½ cup (60 g) dried cranberries
- ¼ cup (45 g) mini chocolate chips ¼ cup (45 g) mini chocolate chips
- 1 tsp (2 g) orange zest 1 tsp (2 g) orange zest
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- 1 cup (95 g) unsweetened desiccated coconut, toasted 1 cup (95 g) unsweetened desiccated coconut, toasted
Place chopped dates in a medium bowl. Stir in 1 cup (250 ml) of boiling water and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Drain dates and place in the bowl of a food processor along with the Redpath® Organic Granulated Sugar and orange juice. Pulse until mixture is smooth.
Transfer date mixture to a large bowl, stir in oats, walnuts, almonds, cranberries, chocolate chips, zest, and salt. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
Using clean hands, roll mixture into 1½ inch balls (about 1 tbsp/35 g). Place coconut in a pie plate and roll each bite in coconut until coated.
Place bites in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for 1 month.
* For extra chocolate flavour add ¼ cup (25 g) cocoa powder to the food processor with dates and sugar.
* Switch up coating the bites in coconut with cocoa powder, mini chocolate chips, or crushed nuts.