A Prairie staple, the Flapper Pie is a dessert of choice from Winnipeg to Wetaskiwin. With a crisp graham crust, fluffy meringue topping and a deliciously sweet custard filling, it’s not hard to understand why.
- 1½ cups (174 g) graham cracker crumbs 1½ cups (174 g) graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup (54 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, firmly packed ¼ cup (54 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- ¼ cup (50 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar ¼ cup (50 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp (3 g) ground cinnamon 1 tsp (3 g) ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (2 g) salt ¼ tsp (2 g) salt
- ⅓ cup (76 g) butter, melted ⅓ cup (76 g) butter, melted
For the Filling:
- 1¾ (420 ml) cup milk 1¾ (420 ml) cup milk
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) heavy cream ⅔ cup (160 ml) heavy cream
- ½ cup (100 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar, divided ½ cup (100 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar, divided
- 5 large egg yolks 5 large egg yolks
- 3 tbsp (42 g) cornstarch 3 tbsp (42 g) cornstarch
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) pure vanilla extract 1 tbsp (15 ml) pure vanilla extract
For the Swiss Meringue:
- 4 large egg whites 4 large egg whites
- ¾ cup (150 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar ¾ cup (150 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon juice 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon juice
- ½ tsp (2 ml) pure vanilla extract ½ tsp (2 ml) pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp (2 g) cream of tartar ¼ tsp (2 g) cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp (2 g) salt ¼ tsp (2 g) salt
For the pie crust:
Preheat oven to 350℉ (175℃).
In a large bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, Redpath® Granulated Sugar, ground cinnamon, and salt.
Add the melted butter and mix until the crumbs are coated. Set aside 2 tablespoons (34 g) of graham cracker mix. Transfer the remaining mixture into the pie dish. Firmly and evenly press crumbs into the bottom and sides of the dish.
Place into the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
For the filling:
In a medium pot, over medium heat, stir together milk, cream, and ¼ cup (50 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar until it just starts to simmer and sugar is dissolved.
In a bowl, whisk together yolks, remaining sugar, cornstarch, and salt until well combined.
Temper yolks by ladling a small amount of hot milk into the eggs while continuously whisking.
Repeat the process until the temperature of the eggs feels about the same as the temperature of the milk. Whisk in the remaining milk. Strain the egg-milk mixture back into the pot. Place pot over medium heat, constantly stirring with a rubber spatula. Once the mixture starts to thicken, switch to a whisk and lower temperature slightly. Whisk constantly until mixture begins to bubble; cook for 1½ minutes.
Take off heat and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the pure vanilla extract until fully incorporated into the pastry cream. Pour and evenly spread the hot pastry cream into the cooled crust.
Allow to chill in the fridge until cold; at least an hour.
For the Swiss Meringue topping:
In the bowl of a stand mixer, or a heatproof bowl, whisk together the egg whites with the Redpath® Granulated Sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract, cream of tartar, and salt. Place over a just simmering pot of water, ensuring that the bowl does not come in contact with the water. Place a thermometer into the bowl and gently whisk mixture until sugar is dissolved and the temperature reaches 160℉ (71℃).
Take the bowl off heat, and immediately place bowl onto the stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Whisk until meringue is glossy, stiff peaks form, and cooled to room temperature.
Spread meringue onto the chilled pie, ensuring the meringue reaches the edges of the crust. If desired, brown meringue using a kitchen torch. Sprinkle the top of the pie with the reserved graham cracker crumbs. Slice with a sharp chef’s knife that has been dipped into hot water and dried off. Serve immediately.