It’s easy. It’s chocolate. What more do you need to know? How about it’s free of virtually all allergens and it’s vegan-friendly, so everyone can enjoy a decadent slice! A bit of coffee makes it extra dark and delicious, but without adding a mocha flavour, and coconut milk helps create a ganache that’s unbelievably smooth and rich.
35 minutes chilling time
For the cake:
- 3 cups (375 g) all-purpose flour 3 cups (375 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (400 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar 2 cups (400 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- ⅓ cup (33 g) unsweetened cocoa powder ⅓ cup (33 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp (10 g) baking soda 2 tsp (10 g) baking soda
- 1 tsp (6 g) salt 1 tsp (6 g) salt
- 1½ cups (375 ml) water 1½ cups (375 ml) water
- ⅔ cup (167 ml) canola oil ⅔ cup (167 ml) canola oil
- ½ cup (125 ml) coffee, cold ½ cup (125 ml) coffee, cold
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) white vinegar or apple cider vinegar 2 tbsp (30 ml) white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) pure vanilla extract 1 tbsp (15 ml) pure vanilla extract
For the ganache:
- 1 cup (170 g) dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate 1 cup (170 g) dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- ¾ cup (188 ml) canned coconut milk, full-fat ¾ cup (188 ml) canned coconut milk, full-fat
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) coconut oil 2 tbsp (30 ml) coconut oil
- ¼ tsp (2 g) salt ¼ tsp (2 g) salt
For the cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease and line a 9 x 13-inch pan with parchment paper. Leave about an inch of overhang for easy removal.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, Redpath® Granulated Sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients.
In a large measuring cup, whisk together the water, oil, coffee, vinegar, and pure vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the well. With a whisk, stir until the batter is smooth and no lumps of flour remain.
Pour batter into the prepared pan and place into the preheated oven. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool in pan; 10 minutes.
Using the parchment paper, carefully remove the cake and place onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely. If transporting to a picnic or other event, run a small offset spatula around the cake to loosen edges from the pan. Cool completely in the pan on a wire cooling rack, and serve from pan.
For the ganache:
Place the chocolate chips or chopped chocolate into a medium heatproof bowl. Over medium heat, heat the coconut milk in a small pot until barely simmering; do not boil.
Remove from heat and pour the hot coconut milk over the chocolate. Let sit for 2 minutes. Slowly stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is homogeneous. Add in the coconut oil and quickly stir in to incorporate. Place into the fridge to chill. Stir every 10 minutes or so until completely cooled and thickened; approximately 35 minutes.
With a handheld mixer, whip ganache until pale in colour.
Use an offset or regular spatula to evenly spread the ganache over the completely cooled cake. Any leftovers should be placed into an airtight container and refrigerated.
*If serving the cake from the pan, grease the baking pan with coconut oil and dust bottom and sides with cocoa powder.
*If you don’t have coffee, replace with cold water.
*Place the cake into the oven immediately after mixing. The leavening properties of the baking soda begins to react once it comes into contact with a liquid and decreases as it sits out of the oven.
*For a subtle caramel-like undertone, replace 1 cup (200 g) of the Redpath® Granulated Sugar with 1 cup (217 g) of Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar or Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar.
*Make the ganache while the cake is baking.
*For a chocolate glaze: Omit coconut milk (and salt, if desired). Place the chocolate and coconut oil in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of barely simmering water. Stir to melt. Remove from heat. Let cool until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Pour and spread glaze over the completely cooled cake.