Take everything you love about hummus, like the nutty taste and the way it clings to anything you put it on, and add the decadent flavour of cocoa powder. What do you get? A crave-worthy treat you can’t help but double-dip! Use it to upgrade your fruit and cracker tray at your next party.
- ⅔ cup (145 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, packed ⅔ cup (145 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- ½ cup (125 ml) water ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 1 tsp (1 g) instant espresso 1 tsp (1 g) instant espresso
- ½ tsp (2 g) ground cinnamon ½ tsp (2 g) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed well and drained thoroughly 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed well and drained thoroughly
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed well and drained thoroughly 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed well and drained thoroughly
- ⅔ cup (67 g) cocoa powder ⅔ cup (67 g) cocoa powder
- ¼ cup (60 ml) tahini ¼ cup (60 ml) tahini
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) pure vanilla extract 1 tbsp (15 ml) pure vanilla extract
Place the Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, water, instant espresso, cinnamon, and salt into a small pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
In the bowl of a large food processor fitted with the metal blade, add the rinsed and drained chickpeas and black beans. Add the cocoa powder, tahini, vanilla extract, and the cooled sugar syrup.
Process in approximately 30-second intervals, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Process until smooth, or desired consistency is reached.
Transfer to a bowl, if serving immediately. If not, transfer to an airtight container and place into the fridge; up to 7 days.
*Instant coffee can be used in place of the espresso.
*Use any nut butter desired as an alternative to tahini.
*Chickpeas are also called garbanzo beans.
*If hummus is too thick, add a tablespoon (15 ml) of water, or add water until desired consistency is reached.
*Serve as a dip with pretzels, apple, or pear slices, berries or graham crackers. Alternatively, use as a spread on toast or crackers.