What you need
- 3 cups (300 g) rolled oats, packed (do not substitute quick cooking oats)
- 2 ½ cups (290 g) fine unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup (113 g) cocoa powder, sifted
- ½ cup (60 g) walnuts, chopped
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- 1 cup (227 g) unsalted butter
- 2 ½ cups (500 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) evaporated milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 48 maraschino cherries
How to prepare
1. In a large heatproof bowl, whisk together oats, 1 cup (116 g) of coconut, cocoa, walnuts, and salt until well combined. Set aside.
2. Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add sugar, evaporated milk, and vanilla and stir until sugar is dissolved.
3. Increase heat to medium-high and without stirring allow mixture to come to a boil. Boil until temperature reaches 235° (113°C) on a candy thermometer (or a spoon full dropped in a glass of ice water forms a sticky, soft ball), about 8 to 12 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and when bubbles have subsided pour hot syrup into dry ingredients and stir well. Chill until cool enough to handle (about 1 hour).
5. After chilling, shape mixture into 1 1/2 “ balls. Make an indent in each ball and place a maraschino cherry inside. Seal up opening and roll in remaining 1 ½ cups (175 g) of coconut.
6. Place in refrigerator at least 2 hours and serve chilled. In an airtight container, Cherry Snowballs will keep in the refrigerator for 1 week or in the freezer for up to one month.
- Mixture will remain slightly sticky even after chilling. Periodically dampening hands during the rolling process will help with this.