Rich butterscotch flavour and a crispy texture make these slice-and-bake cookies an indulgent treat you’ll want again and again. Good thing they’re a cinch to make, and can be kept frozen to have on hand whenever a cookie craving hits. The secret to the best taste and texture: don’t underbake the cookies - we want to hear that crunch!
2 hours (or overnight) chilling time
Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar
With a deeper caramel taste, it adds body to rich, decadent sweets like ganache, brownies, and gingerbread, or mocha anything. It’s also the classic choice for BBQ sauces and marinades, syrups, and more.
Redpath® Granulated Sugar
Our classic, use-it-anywhere sugar is made from 100% pure sugar cane. It’s ideal for sweetening coffee and tea, baking, preserving, canning, and cooking.
For the cookies:
- 1 cup (225 g) butter 1 cup (225 g) butter
- ¾ cup (163 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, packed ¾ cup (163 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- 2 tsp (10 ml) pure vanilla extract 2 tsp (10 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups (210 g) all-purpose flour 1½ cups (210 g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (30 g) cornstarch ¼ cup (30 g) cornstarch
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- 1 egg, beaten well 1 egg, beaten well
- 1 cup (200 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar 1 cup (200 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- stand mixer with paddle attachment; or hand mixer stand mixer with paddle attachment; or hand mixer
- large-size bowls large-size bowls
- rubber spatula rubber spatula
- whisk whisk
- parchment paper parchment paper
- plastic bench scraper plastic bench scraper
- baking sheets baking sheets
- large flat dish or loaf pan large flat dish or loaf pan
- cutting board cutting board
- chef’s knife chef’s knife
- cooling rack cooling rack
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream together butter, the Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, and vanilla extract until fluffy, smooth, and pale in colour; about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl periodically to ensure ingredients are well incorporated.
In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, and salt until well mixed and no lumps remain. Add all of the dry ingredients into the butter-sugar mixture and mix on medium-low to low speed until just combined; do not overmix.
Divide the dough into 2 equal portions and roll each into a roughly 10-inch (25 cm) log. Place each log onto separate pieces of parchment paper. Fold the paper over the dough, and using a plastic bench scraper or spatula, press, and gently but firmly, push the scraper at a 45 degree angle up against the “seam” where the dough meets the work surface. This will tighten the parchment around the log and help shape the dough into a compact, evenly-shaped cylinder. Twist the ends of the parchment paper. Repeat process with the other piece of dough.
Place the logs in the refrigerator to chill and harden; at least 2 hours (or overnight).
Set the rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 375°F (191°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
Remove dough from the fridge; let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before slicing.
Place the Redpath® Granulated Sugar in a flat dish or loaf pan (wide enough to fit the logs of dough). Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the entire surface of the log with the well beaten egg. Roll the log into the granulated sugar until completely coated. Repeat process with the second log.
Transfer logs to a cutting board and with a sharp chef’s knife, slice into ½-inch (about 1 cm) rounds; approximately 20 cookie slices per log.
Place cookies about 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets. Place into the preheated oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until deep golden brown in colour.
Carefully transfer the cookies to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
*Ensure all ingredients are at room temperature before proceeding with the recipe.
*This cookie dough can be frozen for later use. Instead of placing the logs into the refrigerator, place the parchment-wrapped logs into a freezer safe resealable bag or in aluminum foil and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
*Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar can be used in place of the Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, though the butterscotch notes will not be as pronounced.