This main course pastry is a novel way to serve vegetables, and it’s as beautiful as the changing leaves on the trees. The natural sweetness of roasted squash and beets is perfectly balanced with savoury seasonings like rosemary and garlic, with delicious goat cheese adding creamy richness. Bring the colours (and flavours!) of autumn to your next meal!
Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar
A rich and unique sugar with our deepest flavour, the large crystals add a bit of crunch to your baking and crumble-style toppings.
Redpath® Granulated Sugar Carton
If pantry space is at a premium, we have the solution. Pour easily from the spout straight into your coffee, tea, or measuring cup without making a mess.
For the dough:
- 2 1/4 cups (281 g) all-purpose flour 2 1/4 cups (281 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (62 g) whole wheat flour 1/2 cup (62 g) whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp (38 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar 3 tbsp (38 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- 3 tbsp (6 g) fresh rosemary, finely chopped 3 tbsp (6 g) fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp (2 g) black pepper, preferably freshly ground 3/4 tsp (2 g) black pepper, preferably freshly ground
- 3/4 cup (171 g) butter, cubed, cold 3/4 cup (171 g) butter, cubed, cold
- 2 to 4 tbsp (15 ml to 45 ml) water, cold 2 to 4 tbsp (15 ml to 45 ml) water, cold
For the filling:
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 3 tbsp (42 g) Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar 3 tbsp (42 g) Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar
- 3/4 tsp (4 g) salt 3/4 tsp (4 g) salt
- 3 medium beets (454 g), peeled and sliced into thin rounds 3 medium beets (454 g), peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 1 medium butternut squash (908 g), top round part peeled and sliced thin (save bottom part containing seeds for another use) 1 medium butternut squash (908 g), top round part peeled and sliced thin (save bottom part containing seeds for another use)
- 3/4 cup (192 g) goat cheese 3/4 cup (192 g) goat cheese
- 1/2 cup (50 g) kale, stems removed, leaves finely chopped 1/2 cup (50 g) kale, stems removed, leaves finely chopped
- 1 tsp (1 clove) garlic, minced 1 tsp (1 clove) garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 g) black pepper, preferably freshly ground 1/4 tsp (1 g) black pepper, preferably freshly ground
- 1 tbsp (14 g) butter 1 tbsp (14 g) butter
For the egg wash:
- 1 egg 1 egg
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cream or milk 1 tbsp (15 ml) cream or milk
For the pastry:
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, Redpath® Granulated Sugar, rosemary, salt, and black pepper until well combined. Add in the cold, cubed butter. With a pastry blender cut butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse sand with a few pea-sized pieces.
With a fork stir in cold water, a tablespoon at a time, until it just forms a dough. Dough should not feel wet.
Bring dough together and pat into a disc. Wrap well in plastic wrap and place into the fridge to rest and chill; 30 minutes.
For the filling:
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, the Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar, and salt until well mixed.
Place the sliced beets into one bowl. In another bowl, place the butternut squash rounds. Divide the oil mixture between the 2 bowls. Toss to evenly coat. Spread the beets in a single layer on one of the baking sheets. Spread the butternut squash pieces on a second baking sheet. Place into the oven to roast; about 10 minutes, or until tender but still firm. Remove from oven. Reduce temperature to 375°F (190°C) when the beets and squash have finished cooking.
Transfer the beets to the same baking sheet as the squash. Wash and reline empty baking sheet with parchment.
In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese, kale, garlic, and black pepper until thoroughly combined.
On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14 inch (36 centimeter) circle. Carefully place onto the prepared baking sheet.
Set aside 2 tablespoons of the goat cheese-kale mixture for the top of the galette. Spread the remaining mixture onto the dough, leaving a 2 inch (5 centimeter) margin from the edge.
Arrange and slightly overlap the beet and squash slices over the goat cheese-kale mixture. Dot the reserved cheese and the tablespoon of butter over the vegetables. Fold/pleat the pastry over the beets and squash.
For the egg wash:
Whisk together the egg with the cream or milk. Using a pastry brush, brush the crust with the egg wash.
Place the galette into the preheated oven. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until crust is a deep golden brown. Remove from oven. Allow to cool on the pan for about 5 minutes before slicing. Serve immediately.
*Ensure that beets and squash are sliced to the same thickness.
*Thyme, basil, chives, or other herbs can be used in place of the rosemary.
*The dough can be made in advance for easy preparation.
*Use the top end of the butternut squash to get rounds.