Beet, Squash, and Kale Galette
4 to 6 servings
For the dough
- 2 1/4 cups (281 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (62 g) whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp (38 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- 3 tbsp (6 g) fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp (2 g) black pepper, preferably freshly ground
- 3/4 cup (171 g) butter, cubed, cold
- 2 to 4 tbsp (15 ml to 45 ml) water, cold
For the filling
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 3 tbsp (42 g) Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar
- 3/4 tsp (4 g) salt
- 3 medium beets (454 g), peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 1 medium butternut squash (908 g), top round part peeled and sliced thin (save bottom part containing seeds for another use)
- 3/4 cup (192 g) goat cheese
- 1/2 cup (50 g) kale, stems removed, leaves finely chopped
- 1 tsp (1 clove) garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 g) black pepper, preferably freshly ground
- 1 tbsp (14 g) butter
For the egg wash
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cream or milk
For the pastry:
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, Redpath® Granulated Sugar, rosemary, salt, and black pepper until well combined. Add in the cold, cubed butter. With a pastry blender cut butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse sand with a few pea-sized pieces.
With a fork stir in cold water, a tablespoon at a time, until it just forms a dough. Dough should not feel wet.
Bring dough together and pat into a disc. Wrap well in plastic wrap and place into the fridge to rest and chill; 30 minutes.
For the filling:
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, the Redpath® Demerara Style Sugar, and salt until well mixed.
Place the sliced beets into one bowl. In another bowl, place the butternut squash rounds. Divide the oil mixture between the 2 bowls. Toss to evenly coat. Spread the beets in a single layer on one of the baking sheets. Spread the butternut squash pieces on a second baking sheet. Place into the oven to roast; about 10 minutes, or until tender but still firm. Remove from oven. Reduce temperature to 375°F (190°C) when the beets and squash have finished cooking.
Transfer the beets to the same baking sheet as the squash. Wash and reline empty baking sheet with parchment.
In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese, kale, garlic, and black pepper until thoroughly combined.
On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14 inch (36 centimeter) circle. Carefully place onto the prepared baking sheet.
Set aside 2 tablespoons of the goat cheese-kale mixture for the top of the galette. Spread the remaining mixture onto the dough, leaving a 2 inch (5 centimeter) margin from the edge.
Arrange and slightly overlap the beet and squash slices over the goat cheese-kale mixture. Dot the reserved cheese and the tablespoon of butter over the vegetables. Fold/pleat the pastry over the beets and squash.
For the egg wash:
Whisk together the egg with the cream or milk. Using a pastry brush, brush the crust with the egg wash.
Place the galette into the preheated oven. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until crust is a deep golden brown. Remove from oven. Allow to cool on the pan for about 5 minutes before slicing. Serve immediately.
- Ensure that beets and squash are sliced to the same thickness.
- Thyme, basil, chives, or other herbs can be used in place of the rosemary.
- The dough can be made in advance for easy preparation.
- Use the top end of the butternut squash to get rounds.