The Perfect Winter Jam: Mandarin & Clementine Preserves with Star Anise
What you need:
- 5 - 7, 1 cup (250 mL) jam jars
- 2 cups (500 mL) peeled & segmented clementines (approximately 7-8)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) peeled & segmented mandarins (approximately 6-7)
- 1 kg bag of Redpath QuickSet For Jam
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) lemon juice
- 5 - 7 whole star anise
Mandarin & Clementine Preserves with Star Anise
How to prepare:
1. To segment the citrus fruits, peel the mandarins and clementines with a paring knife and slice in between the the pith and skin trying to get as much of the fruit as possible.
2. Combine all of the ingredients, including the whole clementine and mandarin segments, in a 4 litre saucepan and bring to a rolling boil. Continue to boil for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir and skim off any foam with a metal spoon for 5 minutes.
3. Pour into sterilized jars to within 1 cm from the top. Seal the jars, then turn the jars upside down to ensure they seal properly. Once set, serve with cheese and crackers.