Our Favourite Mulled Apple Cider
What you need:
- 1 litre (4 cups) apple cider
- 3 cloves
- 2 star anise
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Juice from one orange
- Juice of one clementine
- Seeds of one pomegranate
- 1/3 cup (75mL) Redpath Granulated White Sugar
Mulled Apple Cider
How to prepare:
1. Juice your orange and clementine, set aside. Slice open your pomegranate and remove all the seeds, and set them aside as well.
2. Pour the cider into a large pot and heat on low for a few minutes.
3. Add all the spices, the citrus juices, and the pomegranate seeds to the cider and turn the heat up until the mixture starts to boil. Once it starts boiling, reduce the heat and bring the mixture to a simmer. Let it simmer for 5 to 8 minutes.
4. Add the sugar a little at a time and taste after each addition to get the perfect combination of sweetness and spices.
5. Once the cider has been sweetened to your taste, you can begin serving. You can leave the spices in or strain the cider before serving.
Recipe adapted from recipe from Jamie Oliver's Kitchen.