Sweet Mustard Chicken Quinoa-Kale Salad
For the chicken
- 1 tbsp (12 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) grainy mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- ½ tsp (3 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2 ml) freshly ground pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
For the salad
- ½ cup (85 g) uncooked quinoa
- 4 cups (110 g) shredded kale
- 1 cup (90 g) shredded carrot
- ½ cup (70 g) finely sliced red onion
- ¼ cup (38 g) toasted pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup (34 g) dried cranberries
For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp (25 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) dijon mustard
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
For the Chicken:
Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C) and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
In a medium bowl stir together Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, mustard, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Add chicken to bowl and toss to coat. Place coated chicken on prepared baking sheet.
Place baking sheet with chicken in preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C). Once cool enough to handle, slice or shred chicken; keep warm.
For the Dressing:
In a small bowl whisk together Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, vinegar, mustard, and salt. Drizzle in olive oil while whisking to emulsify dressing.
For the Salad:
Bring 3 cups (750 ml) of water to a boil, stir in quinoa and cook for 10-12 minutes or until desired doneness. Strain and transfer to a large mixing bowl along with remaining salad ingredients and desired amount of dressing. Divide among 4 plates and top with an equal amount of chicken.
* This salad is also great chilled and makes a delicious lunch the following day.
* Use baby spinach in place of kale.