Maple Apricot Compote on Ricotta Toast
15 to 20 minutes
For the maple apricot compote
- 1 1/2 cups (245 g) dried apricots, cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) boiling hot water
- 1/2 cup (60 ml) orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 packets (28 g) Redpath® Brown and Maple Sugars
- 1 tbsp (6 g) orange zest
- 1 tsp (3 g) cardamom, preferably freshly ground
- 1/4 tsp (1 g) ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp (1 g) salt
For the ricotta toast
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) ricotta
- 1 packet (14 g) Redpath® Brown and Maple Sugars
- 1/4 (1 g) tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 slices bread, thickly sliced and toasted
In a medium saucepan, soak dried apricots in the boiling water until plump; about 10 minutes.
Add in the remaining ingredients: orange juice, the Redpath® Brown and Maple Sugars, orange zest, ground cardamom, cinnamon, and salt.
Place onto medium-high heat and bring mixture to a boil, while constantly stirring. Reduce temperature to medium and simmer until liquid is reduced and thickened; about 15 minutes.
Remove from heat to cool.
For the ricotta spread:
In a small bowl using a spatula, cream together ricotta, the Redpath® Brown and Maple Sugars, and cinnamon until well combined.
Divide and spread ricotta mixture onto the toasts. Spoon about 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of the Maple Apricot Compote onto the ricotta. Serve immediately.
- Any leftover compote can be used to top ice cream, yogurt, or as an accompaniment to any pork dish.
- Use crackers or crostini instead of toast for easy hors d’oeuvres.