Sweet Grapefruit & Ginger Jam
What you need:
- 5 to 7, 1 cup (250 ml) jam jars, sterilized
- 3½ cups (875 ml) pink grapefruit (about 4 grapefruits)
- 1 pkg (1 kg) Redpath® QuickSet for Jam
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) peeled ginger
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
1. With a sharp knife, cut off the peel and white pith of the whole grapefruits.
2. Hold the grapefruit firmly with one hand over a bowl to collect the juice, and use a knife to cut along the inside of the membrane of one segment towards the center of the fruit, then cut along the inside of the membrane on the other side of the segment. Repeat for each segment until all grapefruit membranes have been removed. Discard the remaining membranes.
3. Cut a piece of ginger one-inch thick and remove the skin with a sharp knife. Mince the peeled ginger root until very fine.
4. Set aside several of the peeled grapefruit segments and add the rest to a large saucepan with minced ginger, lemon juice, and Redpath® QuickSet for Jam. Crush the grapefruit with a wooden spoon before adding the reserved segments.
5. Place the saucepan on the stovetop and stir over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and continue to boil for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir and skim off the foam with a metal spoon for 5 minutes.
6. Fill the sterilized jars up to 1 cm from the top, then seal the jars and label them. Turn the jars upside down to make sure they are well sealed, and let the jam set overnight.