For the Chocolate Pudding
- 1/4 cup (30 g) cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (100 g) Redpath Granulated Sugar
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 g) salt
- 3 cups (710 ml) whole milk
- 6 oz (170 g) semisweet or dark chocolate, coarsely chopped OR 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Whipping Cream:
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) whipping cream, chilled
- 1/4 cup (30 g) cocoa
- 2 tbsp (24 g) Redpath Granulated Sugar (or more, taste to see)
For the "Dirt" and "Worm" Layers:
- 2 cups (200 g) chocolate cookie crumbs
- 1 cup (100 g) chopped chocolate sandwich cookies
- 1/2 cup (50 g) gummy worms
For the Chocolate Pudding:
1. Combine the cornstarch, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan. Whisk in a little bit of the milk at first, just enough to create a smooth paste so that lumps don't form, then pour in the rest, whisking as you do so.
2. Place pan over medium-low heat and stir the mixture occasionally, scraping the bottom and sides, and whisking as necessary should any lumps begin to form. Continue cooking the mixture for about 10 minutes, making sure not to let it get to a simmer, until the mixture thickens enough that it will coat the back of a spoon.
3. Add the chocolate to the thickened milk mixture, and continue to cook over low heat, stirring until the chocolate is fully incorporated and the mixture is quite thick. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Note: If you’re concerned about lumps, pour the pudding through a fine mesh strainer before chilling.
4. Transfer the pudding to a large serving bowl or among individual ramekins or glasses. To prevent skins from forming on the tops, place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the pudding. Store in the refrigerator and chill until completely cool, about 2 – 3 hours.
For the Chocolate Whipped Cream:
1. Pour the whipping cream into a large bowl, then whisk in the cocoa and the sugar. Using electric beaters (or a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment) beat the cream until thick and stiff peaks have formed. Set aside.
1. In glass cups or in a large trifle dish, begin layering your ingredients. Start with the cookie crumbs and crush cookies, then add a thick layer of chocolate pudding, followed by the chocolate whipped cream, then top with more cookie crumbs and crushed cookies. Top with a few gummy worms.
2. Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 3 days.