Double Chocolate Butter Tarts
12 butter tarts
- 2 x crust recipe from Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie, chilled
- ¾ cup (163 g) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- ¼ cup (60 ml) light corn syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp (1 g) salt
- ½ cup (125 ml) melted butter
- ¼ cup (43 g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup (30 g) dried cranberries
1.Preheat oven to 450°F (232°C).
2. On a smooth surface lightly dusted with cocoa, roll pie dough to a ¼-inch (⅔ cm) thickness. Cut 12 rounds using a 4½-inch (11½ cm) round cookie cutter, re-rolling scraps if needed. Gently press rounds into a 12-cup muffin pan. Refrigerate for 20 min.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, corn syrup, eggs, vanilla extract, vinegar, and salt until well mixed. Pour in melted butter and whisk until smooth.
4. Divide chocolate chips and dried cranberries evenly between the refrigerated tart shells. Carefully fill shells two-thirds full with the butter tart mixture.
5. Place muffin pan in the preheated oven and bake for 13-15 minutes, or until filling is puffed and bubbling, rotating pan halfway through baking time. Remove from oven and let stand on rack for 10 minutes. Run a small metal offset spatula around tarts to loosen; carefully slide spatula under tarts and transfer to rack to cool completely.
*Replace dried cranberries with dried cherries for added tartness.
*Replace semi-sweet chocolate chips with dark, milk, or white chocolate chips for a twist.