- 1 recipe Galette Dough 1 recipe Galette Dough
- ⅔ cup (145 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed ⅔ cup (145 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp (16 g) cornstarch 2 tbsp (16 g) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (3 g) ground cinnamon 1 tsp (3 g) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- 4 cups (604 g) firm baking apples, peeled (optional), cored, and sliced into ⅛- to ¼-inch thick slices (Honeycrisp, Golden Delicious, Braeburn, Granny Smith, or a mixture of a few varieties) 4 cups (604 g) firm baking apples, peeled (optional), cored, and sliced into ⅛- to ¼-inch thick slices (Honeycrisp, Golden Delicious, Braeburn, Granny Smith, or a mixture of a few varieties)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) lemon juice, preferably freshly squeezed 2 tsp (10 ml) lemon juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (2 g) lemon zest, finely grated 1 tsp (2 g) lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 tbsp (28 g) butter, divided 2 tbsp (28 g) butter, divided
Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C) and line two baking sheets with parchment. Have the galette or pie dough ready. For a galette, follow method used in Galette Dough recipe. For a 9-inch deep dish pie, use our Perfect Pie Crust 101 recipe. You can use the same recipe to create several mini pies.
In a medium bowl, mix the Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt until thoroughly combined.
Place the sliced apples into a large bowl. Sprinkle the lemon juice, vanilla extract, and lemon zest over the apples. Toss to evenly coat. Sprinkle the apple slices with the sugar mixture. Toss again to ensure slices are coated with the mixture.
Immediately use filling in whatever dessert you’re creating.
*You can leave the skins on the thinly sliced apples for added colour.
*Sample the berries or fruit to determine how much Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar is needed for the filling. Use 1/2 cup (109 g) if the fruit is sweet, use the stated amount if the fruit is tart or not sweet enough.
*If using fresh berries, use 3 tablespoons (24 g) cornstarch, as they release more juices than firmer fruits such as apples.
*If using frozen berries or frozen fruit, or tart stone fruit or berries (apricots, plums, peaches, nectarines, or cranberries), use the stated amount of sugar in the recipe and more cornstarch (3 tablespoons / 24 g).
*Switch out the cinnamon or add additional spices (such as cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, or ginger) and/or herbs (such as rosemary, thyme, or basil) to heighten or create a different flavour profile.
*Instead of lemon zest, use orange or lime, depending on the fruit used in the filling.
Related recipe: Galette Dough